What's new

Stairs... obstacle of death? (1 Viewer)

Andy Polo

Stunt Coordinator
Can a big screen rear projection be carried down a normal flight of stairs. The tv would have to be titled on an angle to avoid the ceiling?... thanks

Kevin P

Screenwriter
If you're careful you should be ok. I'm sure the majority of RPTVs delivered in homes have had to be carried up or down stairs.

If you want to make sure the set will fit down the stairs, get the dimensions from the website and make a cardboard mock-up. If the mockup will get up or down the stairs ok, so will the TV.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Seems to me that if the RPTV made it upstairs in fine shape, it can go the other way equally as unscathed.

Andy Polo

Stunt Coordinator
Chuck is right. I will be taking the tv down to my basement and was making sure that it would be able to make it past the railing along the stairs.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
As long as the box will fit, tilting it is not a problem. My current RPTV had to be unboxed in the lobby of my building, turned on its side for a trip in the elevator, and then maneuvered (still on its side) around several corners and through two doorways. It came through fine.

BUT, any time you move an RPTV, it's a good idea to have it calibrated after it's come to rest. Even if you're careful, the box gets shaken up and mirrors and other parts can shift positions.

M.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Also, remove those railings! They're usually just screwed into the wall. You can take doors off the hinges pretty easily; use a thin screwdriver or a large nail and tap out the hinge pin from underneath.
Here's a photo of the delivery men who brought me my RPTV: The Delivery Men
Good luck!
Jan

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This discussion reminds of that "Friends" episode where Ross and Chandler are trying to get a couch up a flight of stairs, and the couch gets stuck (with Chandler stuck as well, and all you hear is Ross screaming, "Pivot! PIVOT!!!"

LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks