Staind DVD-Audio

Discussion in 'Music' started by Elliott Willschick, May 20, 2003.

1. Elliott Willschick

Elliott Willschick Second Unit

My brother went to buy the new Staind album, 14 Shades of Grey. He called me and said that on the back it states that it's also available in DVD-Audio multi-channel. I haven't been able to find any info on this at all. Is this a hint of a later release or just something that never materialized?

2. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

I noticed that there was a sticker on the front of the new Staind album that said it was also available in DVD-A. I did not see it in the DVD-A section of Best Buy.

If I recall correctly, it is coming later on. Probably around June/July.

3. Todd Smigelski

Todd Smigelski Stunt Coordinator

...June 10th I believe.

4. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

It's finally here--I had it in my hand at Best Buy last night. And it only cost $14.99!

Features, from memory: Dolby Digital (but no sound format chart like other Warner dvd-audios); lyrics; photo album; and a forty five(!) minute video of--I think--Staind's musical career so far.

Edit: just found this: Staind dvd-audio press release

I'll bet that 48kHz LPCM stereo rack is so dvd-video players can have something decent to play, instead of just a Dolby 2.0 [​IMG] track like some other dvd-audios have.

Uh, another edit :b : that 48kHz track IS just for dvd-audio players (why??), and there IS a Dolby 2.0 track for dvd-video players. As SNL's Emily Litella used to say, never mind..............

LJ

5. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

I'm bumping this because new music on dvd-audio needs all the help it can get.

Here's sound samples for the album (the CD version). I actually owned their last album but it was too somber for me & I sold it. This seems more upbeat (relatively speaking) and the music less "heavy". There's a very good chance I'll buy this when I'm able to.

Also, I'm finally finding some reviews for Linkin Park's Reanimation dvd-audio. Here's a very detailed one:

From the land of sheep stations and koalas.

Does anybody know what happened to DTS Entertainment's Megadeth dvd-audio??

LJ

6. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

This has nothing to do with Staind, but didn't want to start a whole new thread for this small but interesting dvd-audio tidbit:

I just came back from Target (I missed lunch & they carry cheap-but-good trail mix in single serving packs) & just happened to have my "Nightfly" dvd-audio with me in the car (and Massive Attack's "Mezzazine--I always carry some music with me just in case I see an interesting audio store) and thought I would check out what the cheapie sub-$200 HTiB systems sounded like. This time I chose an RCA dvd-based model that was stereo only. After the groovy see-through lid shut (a top loader) and the disc spun up to about two million RPM--damn those things spin fast!--all of a sudden the words "THE NIGHTFLY" scrolled across the bright blue display. Wtf?? That's what a couple Bose systems did with my Linkin Park dvd-audio!

My question to all those makers of standalone dvd-audio players: how come your $150/$200/$500/$3000 players can't do this? I personally have never seen a standalone player with this feature. Admittedly it's not a big huge deal, but it would be a nice little touch.

And do these discs have track titles too that we can't see? How come no one has ever mentioned this cool feature? Is it just Warner discs that have the title feature or all dvd-audios?

Warner, Dr. Waldrep, DTS.....any ideas?

LJ

7. Jason Perez

Jason Perez Second Unit

Lance (and everyone else),

Given all of the insanity surrounding DVD audio release dates, I had given up on this one, but fortunately, while I was in my local BB picking up the new Perfect Circle disc [​IMG] , the only copy of 14 Shades of Grey on DVD Audio jumped out at me. Like Lance said, it was only $15.00, and although I have not had the chance to put it through its paces, what I heard so far sounds pretty damn good!

I find it interesting that the stereo track is only 48 khz, and more interesting that the labels are still doing a piss-poor job promoting the benefits of DVD Audio's advanced resolution. There is no mention of bit/sampling rate anywhere on the keepcase! [​IMG] [​IMG] High-rez audio has been around for a while now, and I think it is long overdue for the labels to learn how to promote both formats better and provide some indication of a particular disc's content. Just my .02!

BTW - I read somewhere that the Megadeth disc is coming out in mid-October, but I am not holding my breath! [​IMG]

8. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

9. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Maybe that 45 minute video took up so much space that they felt 48kHz was "enough" for the stereo track, since people buying this are probably buying it for the surround tracks (since the stereo CD is already available)?

I still think that a label could get itself into legal trouble by upsampling. Personally I would feel ripped-off if I bought a disc like that.

LJ

10. Dan Stone

Dan Stone Stunt Coordinator

11. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer