Stacking speakers??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Bone, Jul 13, 2002.

1. Chris Bone

Chris Bone Agent

M&K claims that their 150 speakers are stack-able for an increase of six dbl's. My question is: How would stacking speakers on top of each other effect imaging?

Chris

2. Sebastien David

Sebastien David Second Unit

assuming the speakers are in a standard configuration with the tweeter on top, placing the second speaker upside-down on the first would not affect imaging too much. I tried it and it didn't. however, if the tweeters are very separated, I assume it could cause some interferences, as is often the case when you have more than one source emitting the same sound in a room.

now I just checked the M&K website, and the 150 appears to be a relatively unconventional speaker, in that the tweeters are already stacked on one side of the speaker. I'm therefore guessing that they designed the speakers in order not to have too much imaging lost in stacked.

-Seb

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

The MK design seems like a mini line array to me. So staking them should just extend the line array and shouldn't really affect anything.

Most other speaker designs would be affected quite a bit I'd imagine though.

4. Chris Bone

Chris Bone Agent

Thanks so much for the input.