Stacking Equipment

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Fitzsimmons, Jan 13, 2002.

1. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

Would it be ok to stack my dvd player on top of my reciever? My concern is that the reciever may overheat, there are vents cut in the top of my reciever's casing (Kenwood VR-507). My dvd player has feet on it, one in each corner, so it's base wouldn't fit flush with the reciever covering it's holes entirely, but it would only leave like 1/4" of clearance. So would it be ok to stack my dvd player on top of the reciever?

2. Greg_W

Greg_W Stunt Coordinator

No, Most recievers recommend 4" clearance above the vents to dissapate heat. If you have to stack components, put the DVD player underneath the reciever. (unless your reciever is really heavy and could damage it.)

Greg

3. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Mark: I'd recommend that you don't stack any equipment if possible. Both a DVD player and a Reciever can produce alot of heat and they both need to disapate that heat as they are used. Heat is the biggest factor in component longevity and errors.

4. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I agree with Greg. If you ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO, then stick the DVD player on the bottom. But I also agree with John. Don't do it if you don't have to. If you have a worst case scenerio, stack the DVD player on top of or on the bottom of your CD player or some other device that doesn't generate as much heat and is lighter. Try if at all possible to isolate the receiver as it's the heart of your system and if you limit it's ability to get rid of heat, suddenly you have no system.

5. LewisD

LewisD Extra

I've been having problems with the same issue. I just bought another DVD player for my entertainment/HT room, and I have to place it in a fairly tight bookshelf/TV unit. I have my receiver(Kenwood VR509), DVD player(JVC XV-D723), and my digital cable box(DCT 2000)in the same shelving section. The DCT2000 cable box heats up way too much for my liking...does anyone sell cheap internal fans that I could mount around the shelves to keep everything cool?

6. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

Lewis,
    This might work.

7. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Currently I have my Marantz AV560U pre/pro stacked on top of my DVD player. SHould I do it the other way round? I have checked my cabinet after watching a movie and their is barely any heat given off. My amp is located on the lower shelf with plenty of clearance.

Kevin

8. KevinGS

KevinGS Stunt Coordinator

I read something in one of my receiver or dvd or cd manuals that you should not put dvd/cd player near a receiver do to the interference problems that could occur.

9. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

Looks like I won't stack the reciever and the dvd player. The way my TV Stand/Cabinet was setup (it's like 10 years old) Is that it has a spot for a 27" TV, a slot that would size a VCR nicely, and then a cabinet with doors below that is like for movie storage.

I have both the dvd player and vcr in the slot, and have the reciever in the cabinet below. Because the dvd and vcr are together in a small slot this makes the vcr hard to use. So was hoping that I could possibly move the dvd player or vcr down below so the slot is less cramped. I guess this won't be an option without buying a new stand. I would certainly not want to sacrafice the longetivitiy of my equipement's life.

10. ZackL

ZackL Auditioning

I have my receiver (Yamaha rxv800) in a open shelve above the TV, I built the shelves myself, however, due to the room issue, there is about 1/4' space above the receiver, should I be concerned about heat dissapation?

the shelves are open, no door, sides, back..etc, one of those open styles, and the receiver is in its own slot, just very tight above!

suggestions? thanks,