Stacking electronics in a cabinet...heat dissipation

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by elMalloc, Jan 16, 2002.

1. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

I was wondering, I see a lot of these HT pics with electronics that are stacked on top of each other within an entertainment cabinet.

Question: How do the electronics dissipate heat now, and don't they damage each other?

Case A:

The problem with my cabinet is my receiver fits -snugly- into my entertainment center, nothing stack on top of each other, it's on its own shelf. But there are vents for heat dissipation on the left and right which are covered up by the cabinet, but there are about 5 inches above the receiver where the top vents are and anything behind the receiver is obviously open for cables to connect with.

Case B:

I think I can get it rearranged so the receiver has 3-4 inches of airspace on the left and right, but only 1 inch above it, and again anything behind the receiver is open. I think most of the heat is dissipating from the top of the receiver though (makes sense).

Right now I annoyingly have my receiver sitting on top of my entertainment center. The best position I can get it in is case (B) above to get air way everywhere, otherwise I get 5 inches vertical and left and right are clogged.

Thanks for any help,

ELmO

2. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

I would think it's more important to have space above the receiver than the sides. I have about 6 inches above my Yamaha rxv800, about 2 inches to the left and my DVD player sitting about 2 inches to the right. I wish I could lower the shelf above my receiver a couple of inches because then I could get a taller center channel than the B&W CC6s2 that I have now.

Your owner's manual should have some info re: recommended clearances. I'm sure a lot of people will say more clearance is always better, but we all have to make compromises when we set up our systems.

3. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

Yup I checked and all it said was make sure nothing is obstructing the top vents, and don't stack anything on top - they said nothing at all about the side vents and I don't think much heat dissipates at all from them.

Thanks,

Mallow

4. Gary Silverman

Gary Silverman Stunt Coordinator

elMalloc, I would try to have some space on the sides as well as the top. I don't think that the vents on the sides are meant to let heat out, but to let cooler outside air in. Since heat rises, the vents on the sides would pull air in, creating air flow through the receiver. Much better heat removal that way.