Stacking Componets

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JamesMartin, Aug 30, 2001.

1. JamesMartin

JamesMartin Extra

Hi guys. If you remember me you will know that I am a newbie to HT but I have been reading your post almost every day.
    My question:
    I have a very small TV/Stereo stand and don't have much room for my Onkyo 595 and Onkyo CD changer, PS2, VCR, Cable Box, etc. Right now I have my Cd changer directly on top of my receiver. The back of the stand is open and there is a little space above the Cd changer (about 3 inches) and I always leave the glass door open when playing it (which usually isn't for that long at a time (maybe two hours a day or so).
    Is this going to "hurt" anything? The reason I ask is because I have read some posts that say you should never put anything on top of your receiver or it will "cook" it?
    Please help cause I might have to buy a new TV stand and audio stand cause I have no where else to put my components.
    Thanks again.

2. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

If your CD player is a 5 disc carousel, then it should be big enough to swap the order.
    Put the 595 on top of the cd player and you'll be better off. CD players don't put off heat (under normal conditions anyhow) plus there aren't any vents on the top of the player.
    The way you've got it set up now, your 595 isn't getting the ventalation that it needs. Those slots are there for a reason and need to be unobstructed. Having that CD player up there is bound to run the receiver to an early grave.

3. Allan

Allan Stunt Coordinator

Never put anyhing on top of your receiver. It puts out a lot of heat will withou proper ventilation, will "cook" and overheat. It is best to have all compoents by themselves with breathing room on the top, sides, and back. However, certain compenants put out very little heat and can be stacked. Currentyly, in my bedroom system I have my receiver on top of my CD changer due to lack of space. I have never had a problem with it like that.
    Allan

4. JamesMartin

JamesMartin Extra

Thanks for the replys. My cd changer is the onkyo c380 6 disc. I will put the cd player on the bottom as soon as I get home.
    You guys don't think that I will have a problem like that do you? I plan on keeping it like that until I move into a house in April. Then I am going to get a Sony WEGA KV-32fs17 or the KV-32fs13 with a matching stand and also a matching audio rack. I think the stands are made by techcraft, maybe? Then I can have a separate shelf for all my stuff, but then I also plan on having a DVD player also, maybe one of the new onkyo models.
    Thanks again.
    JamesMartin

5. Rick Simpson

Rick Simpson Agent

Do DVD players put out much heat,could I stack on a dvd player?thanks

6. JamesMartin

JamesMartin Extra

Rick, sorry I can't answer your question. I am in the same boat as you.
    Anyway guys, one more question. The reason I stacked the cd changer on top of the receiver is cause the receiver is sooooo heavy. Do you think I will have a problem putting the reveiver on the cd changer because of the weight? I don't wanna "dent" in my cd changer.
    Thanks again
    JamesMartin

7. Allan

Allan Stunt Coordinator

I am not sure how sturdy your DVD player is, but mine (Tosh SD1200) does not feel that strong. Thus, I would never put a heavy component on it for fear of denting it. (However I do rest my cable box (very light) on it due to space constraints in my living room).
    Regarding the CD player under the receiver -- it all depends on the build quality of the frame. Like I said in a post above, I put my recevier on my CD changer in my bedroom system (both Yamahas) and nothing adverse has happened (both sonically and dent-wise).
    Allan

8. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

As long as the feet of the receiver are close to the corners of the CD player cabinet, you won't have any problems. If they were hitting right in the middle of the top where there is no support, then you might run a risk of denting the player.
    As for your other question.....I've found that my DVD player puts off more heat than any CD player I've ever seen, but that may vary from make to make.
    Really, the general rule is don't stack on a component that has vent slots on the top. If your DVD player doesn't have vents on the top, then you'll probably be ok stacking on it.

9. Graeme Shiomi

Graeme Shiomi Stunt Coordinator

I currently have my DVD player on top of my CD Player, and have no problems with heat, denting or anything else.
    As stated already, the feet of most components will be at the corners of the component below, so there isn't much risk. Additionally, what is your player (CD or DVD) made of? Mine both have fairly rigid steel casings.
    As for heat, neither my DVD Player (Sony) or CD Player (Rotel) have vents on top of them. If there are no vents, then there isn't really a major risk that they are "cooking" anything above them, as long as what's above them is on feet.
    Graeme

10. JamesMartin

JamesMartin Extra

My receiver is a Onkyo TS-DX595 and my Cd changer is a Onkyo C380. Both have really sturdy steal frames. The reason why I was asking is cause even though the CD changer is sturdy, the receiver weights in at around 25-27lbs (or so) which is pretty heavy. I will check out the "feet" tonight and decide what to do.
    Thanks for the replys.
    JamesMartin