What's new

Stacking components? (1 Viewer)

Greg W L

Agent
New to this stuff, and trying to plan where to put the new system when I get it. Is it possible/recommended to stack any of the componens on top of each other, or do you need a seperate shelf for each? If you can stack some, which ones?

BryanZ

Screenwriter
It is best to get a separate shelf for each component. The receiver/amp will need around 6 - 8" of head room for heat disapation purposes. I've stacked my Outlaw on top of a Samson S700 amp and haven't had any problems (the amp is on top of an entertainment center). CD players and dvd players you should be able to stack, along with vcrs.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
It isn't ideal, and personally, if I were to stack, I'd go for source components rather than amplifiers and processors, as the sources (as a general rule) run cooler.
When stacking I'd put the hottest running component at the top of the stack, since the heated air around that component would simply rise into the other components, which isn't what you really want I suspect.....
Regards,

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Whatever you do, try not to put anything on top of your receiver. It will heat up the other components and that can often lead to problems, especially with a powerful amp. Open rack if you can vs enclosed with no ventilation. The cooler your gear runs, the happier it will be.
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
I used to put my cable box converter on top of my cd changer. After three years my cd changer stopped working. It was a major fix. I'm guessing it's due to the heat of the cable box. I now put a towel below my converter as an added bit of insurance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks