What's new

Stacking components (1 Viewer)

KennethT

Auditioning
I'm thinking of placing my DVD on top of my receiver due to limited space. Is this going to cause cooling problem for the receiver ? Note that the DVD has 'legs' therefore the unit actually sits about 5 mm above the receiver.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
It is recommended that you have at least 6 inches above your receiver for ventilation. Do not stack any component directly on top of your receiver.

SeanA

Second Unit
I would not put anything on top of an A/V receiver. The amp puts out more heat than most any other electronic piece (with exception of maybe your TV). Since heat rises, it would be best to keep the receiver at the top and other components below.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i would never put anything on top of my receiver. as heat rises from inside the receiver, it's going to get blocked by anything on top of the receiver...plus you'll "cook" any components on top of it.

Isn't it too heavy to place the receiver on top other components ?
as far as weight goes, most people don't put anything on the same shelf as the receiver.

SeanA

Second Unit
Yep... my receiver sits at the top on its own shelf. That's ideal, but it sounds like Ken doesn't have room to dedicate a shelf to the receiver.

Ken, do you have room to create a simple table out of wood that would straddle and sit over the DVD player and also create a surface above for the receiver ? I personally wouldn't want to put my receiver on top of anything else, but I think it would be a better option than to put something on top of the receiver.

KennethT

Auditioning
No, basically I don't have any space to spare. I'm using the cabinet which comes with my TV.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
What kind of TV is it, then? What TV "comes with" a cabinet these days?

You're getting excellent advice here. Heat is the number one cause of failure in electronic components. Stacking any electronic components is not a good idea.

If you value your equipment, you need to come up with another plan.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
okay, as a last ditch effort to keep your gear cool, maybe you could utilize some sort of electical fan.

something like this?

radio shack fan

you could mount that in such a way that it drew the air away from your gear? i don't think you'd want it to blow onto the gear as you'd just introduce dust...

i still say "don't stack", but i understand that you gotta do what ya gotta do! :)

Bill Leber

Stunt Coordinator
What are the drawbacks to putting a receiver on top of a DVD player? My Onkyo 575x has been sitting on top my Pioneer DV-503C for over 2 years.

I'm experiencing problems with CD playback on the Pioneer, but I never associated it with the weight of the Onkyo.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
What are the drawbacks to putting a receiver on top of a DVD player?
i can't really think of any. i suppose if your receiver was putting out a lot of heat through the bottom (which is unlikely) then it could affect the dvd player...but i find that doubtful.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks