What's new

stacking components on a bookshelf (1 Viewer)

IssaraS

Grip
Hey Guys -

I need to figure out a way to stack my components, but I don't want the receiver overheating.

The reason I need to do this is that my entire back wall has the TV and fireplace with built-in bookshelves on both sides. The actual shelves aren't deep enough to put any components on, so I had to remove them.

So is there a system or something that I could use to stack my components? The cleaner the better..

Thanks.

Tom Moran

Agent
Issara - There are certainly plenty of nice component racks available at retail from companies like Room and Board and Audio King in our area.

Kind of depends on your decor I guess. Since you are in Mpls I'll recommend something a bit different. I have had all of of our component furniture built by a local wood worker who is really good. I'll give you his contact info if you are interested. We usually show him designs from places like Room and Board and he custom builds the furniture to our specs for about the same price.

He is currently building the wall unit for my HT and it should be up in a couple of weeks so watch the forum for pics.

I've set this forum to trigger an email to me so if you reply here I'll get a message.

Tom

IssaraS

Grip
Thanks for the suggestion Tom, I might have to keep that guy in mind!
What I need right now is a little different though. I don't really have space for a stand-alone component rack (I have one in the garage). I am trying to put all my components into the built-in bookshelves on the side of the TV and the shelves themselves aren't deep enough for any of my components. So I need to figure out a way to stack the components on top of the receiver which is on the base of the bookshelf. :frowning:
If I don't think of something soon though...I have another room that I might move my HT equipment to. Then, I could utilize the component rack that I have. Right now, the room is empty. :D

Tom Moran

Agent
I see...well structurally your receiver should be able to handle having stuff stacked on top of it if you distribute the weight correctly (e.g. on the edges) so if it is just air circulation you are concerned with I would suggest pieces of hard rubber placed under the feet of each component to give extra air space between pieces.

This is the cheap, home depot solution thought I'm sure there is something more elegant.

Tom

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Tom was very careful to say "structurally" when he said you can stack components. I would say "never do this". You need several inches of space above the receiver to allow the heat a place to escape to. You can put an electric fan behind the equipment to "blow out" the heat blanket, but you still need lots of space or the heat will build up in the receiver and reduce the lifespan of the device.

Put a low-rack on the SIDE of your room and put the equipment on this. Something where you can put the electronics side by side. This means a long video cable or two, but the custom web sites can build this for you without costing tons of money. This also removes the large reflecting surface a front-rack would cause giving you better sound.

You can also make your own adjustable, single-stack rack for under $150. Go to the DIY fourm and search for "flexy" for advice.

Good Luck.

To re-enforce what Bob said, check your owner's manuals for requirements as my receiver (Elite 49TX) says to keep a MINIMUM of 8" clear above the receiver for proper ventilation. That is a killer to me for the new rack I am trying to design.

I also am trying to mount electronics above floor level - wall mounted if possible. There are very few solutions for this.

Pete in Louisiana

Aaron Whitaker

Stunt Coordinator
If the actual shelves were not deep enough, then why not just make shelves that are deep enough? Granted the shelves might stick out from the cabinet casing but that is an easy solution. Just make sure you have the shelves bolted in the back or they could flip forward with the weight of the component.

Would this work for you? It sounds like the obvious solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.