What's new

Stacking Audio Equipment (1 Viewer)

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
I agree with Cagri. Although lots of ads in audio/video magazines show the receiver on the bottom of equipment stacks, it is a very bad idea. :thumbsdown: Then again, if I were in the business of selling receivers, the more I sell the better. Dropping subtle hints that putting the biggest heat generator on the bottom is the right way to go would guarantee more sales. Trapping the heat inside the unit is a sure way to cause an early death... :frowning:

Mike Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
so basically, if the unit doesn't have vents, it can pretty much go anywhere, because it won't get very hot. and it the machine DOES have vents, make sure nothing's sitting on top of it?

Brian tj

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Can you diy a new shelve????:D sounds like you have room? Its not hard to do. Just my $.02 If its all Glass make a stand to go over the other comp other wise drill 4 hole and add shelve clips. yous tape on drill bit to stop at the depth you need. hope this helps and yes I do not like stacking.:angry:

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Mike: All of the gear we use and abuse generates heat. (It's always a safe bet that the biggie is the receiver or amplifier.) But you make a good point that if a manufacturer put in ventilation slots/holes, it is a very clear indication the box needs room to breathe...

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
so basically, if the unit doesn't have vents, it can pretty much go anywhere, because it won't get very hot.
A lot of DVD players have no vents. The idea is to keep dust out. But the players still generate heat, and they're designed to dissipate that heat through the case -- which won't work if you stack them up with other components (and those components may well generate additional heat, which would then increase the temperature of the the player even more).

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks