What's new

Stacking Amps...Good Idea/Bad Idea? (1 Viewer)

Jack Smith

Agent
I ask this question because I am running out of rack space and will have to stack something on top of my Cinepro 3kIIse amp. I will put a couple of vhs tapes as a spacer in between the amp and one of the following choices: a JVC svhs recorder; my Sampson SVS subwoofer amp; my Pioneer 606 dd/dts LD (hardly ever used anymore); or should I stack my new Monster 7000 Line Conditioner on top of the Cinepro? Will any of these cause "noise" problems? The Cinepro does not have air vents on top of the unit, but can get a little warm during extensive use. The rack is not enclosed and air circulation is not a problem. Help!! I need help and suggestions. Thanks.

Jack Smith

Agent
I ask this question because I am running out of rack space and will have to stack something on top of my Cinepro 3kIIse amp. I will put a couple of vhs tapes as a spacer in between the amp and one of the following choices: a JVC svhs recorder; my Sampson SVS subwoofer amp; my Pioneer 606 dd/dts LD (hardly ever used anymore); or should I stack my new Monster 7000 Line Conditioner on top of the Cinepro? Will any of these cause "noise" problems? The Cinepro does not have air vents on top of the unit, but can get a little warm during extensive use. The rack is not enclosed and air circulation is not a problem. Help!! I need help and suggestions. Thanks.

JohnMW

Second Unit
Real Name
John
I asked a similar question the other day. I was told to stack the heavy equipment at the bottom, and your vcr/dvd/cd players on top.

Can you adjust your individual rack height?

Maybe you can stack your LD/DVD/CD player(s), then the vcr with something else so that your amps and receiver can breathe freely.

Yogi

Screenwriter
If it doesnt have air vents on top then air is not meant to circulate thru the top, so you should be fine as long as you dont put a source of heat on top of it, like another amp. I would place the LD player since it would generate the least amount of heat and since its not used frequently.

I have frequently seen carousel DVD players placed on HK receivers in various theater setups all over Circuit City. Some of them play at moderate to loud volumes all thru the 12 hr day without any problems. So I think you will be ok.

Best of luck.

TimTurtino

Stunt Coordinator
That's not actually that good a reason.

1) Anytime a CC salesperson finds a problem, they just mark the unit defective, take it back to the warehouse, and bring a new one out. Having defective merchandise on display is bad for sales :)

2) Decisions about how to display the merchandise rarely take into account the long-term health of that merchandise-- they have much more to do with improving the odds of selling it.
Your advice was good-- just don't base it on what CC does. ;)

Me

TimForman

Supporting Actor
I suggest stacking the units that don't create a lot of heat or magnetic fields. Stack the VHS and the LD or any other "player" you have be it CD, DVD, or etc..Keep plenty of air space available for amps and the line conditioner.

TimForman

Supporting Actor
I don't know what happened to my post as I don't see it here so I'll try again. I would suggest stacking the units that don't generate much heat or magnetic fields, so stack the players, CD, DVD, VHS, LD, whichever. Leave air space for the amps, receivers, and line conditioners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks