What's new

ST: Voyager Season 1 Seems Overpriced (1 Viewer)

Cory-C

Grip
Voyager's suggested retail is gonna be $129.99 with the usual "buy it on release week" price of around $99.99.

That seems incredibly inflated for what amounts to half a season and one less disc than we have been accustomed to overall. 15 episodes versus the usual 22-24. Also, these 15 episodes are spent on character development which takes time away from generating really great stories, making this just a ho-hum season in the first place.

The crappiest part is that they know they can get away with this price. Honestly, what diehard fan is gonna reject buying this set after religiously buying the others over the last couple of years. (In all honesty, I am shelling out the bucks for it) I just wish they would have stepped up to the plate and acknowledged beforehand that maybe this set should be a little bit cheaper.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter

Then stop whining. If you're going to help encourage such behavior then accept you're going to keep getting treated like crap in the market. Why anyone would pay for an overpriced season set of Voyager . . . freaking, stupid, ridiculous Voyager for crying out loud . . . is beyond me.

Cory-C

Grip
The ONLY reason I am buying Voyager is because it is all part of the visual Trek universe. (I say visual because I am not about to go out and buy all those damn books and comics) I consider myself a big enough fan to want to be a TV series and movies completist.

It is its own little crappy piece in the history of it all. I can't forsake it just because it doesn't reach the level of the other series. It's almost like ignoring the Star Wars Christmas Special and erasing it from that lore completely ... that is just not acceptable to me, although Lucas obviously does not agree. It was created for a reason and if they put that on DVD, I would pay an inflated price for that as well.

Truthfully, not buying it in this instance isn't going to make it any better at the register. They are obviously going to release all the sets at the same going rate (same for TOS and Enterprise when that hits). Not buying it may only cause them to delay releasing Enterprise sooner.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
See, I consider myself a big enough fan to worry that giving Paramount actual money for Voyager would only encourage them to think it's acceptable.

StevenFC

Second Unit
A hundred bucks sucks--but I'll buy them if I have the money.

I loved Voyager. It's my favorite Trek series. It was far from perfect, but I enjoyed it. I wish it was still on.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I agree that it's overpriced, but I wasn't planning on buying it anyway. I don't mean to be a Voyager-basher; it's just that, except for a few scattered episodes, I honestly didn't like it very much.

I actually felt that the TNG & DS9 sets were overpriced as well, considering what other studios are able to do, even though you got a few more episodes than were in most TV seasons. But I bought them because I love the series so much. However, having only 15-16 episodes and asking the same price as one that had 26 really is a little much.

On one hand, maybe they realize they're probably going to sell less of these sets anyway, and are trying to make sure profits are as much as they can be. However, I think they would sell more if they would lower the price, since so many people are on the fence about it. But who knows?

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor

So they are ready to pull the plug if they don't sell enough sets - why else would there be a gap of almost three months between Season One and Season Two?

They had firm release dates for all seasons of TNG and DS9 in January 2002 and 2003 - yet they don't have any release dates for seasons 5, 6 and 7 of Voyager.

I'm pretty sure that the five people who will actually buy this crap will not be able to get the full series - the question is only whether they will stop after season one or whether they will actually release the four seasons that already have release dates.

:D

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I'm on the fence about Voyager as well.

I could see myself buying the last few seasons used for about $60/set. That's about it.

Looking forward to seeing reviews of the early seasons, just for the bloodletting.

As for blowing off early/short seasons, I was somewhat reluctant to pick up DS9:S1 for the same reason.

Ended up being happy with it after all, but that was DS9...

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Well, people could hope that Deep Discount DVD has another 20% sale at the end of this year. That should make the prices of Voyager a bit more reasonable.

Neil

Richard Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator
It's not overpriced. Trek fans have shown they are willing to pay more, so they charge more. why charge less when you can charge more?

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

*Quietly putting up my hand*

I'm what folks might call a "die-hard" fan. :) I snapped up TNG and DS9 the moment they all hit the shelves. But I'll be taking a pass on VOY.

JohnAP

Second Unit
The price of the trek sets has been much discussed on the forum. I guess they know the diehards will pay more, but they are also alienating casual fans or people who never watched but might want to give it a try. I'd like to own this series, but I just paid less than a third of that price for the fifteen episode set of Firefly and by comparison, a fifteen episode set of Voyager doesn't seem to justify the cost. Especially when the first season was pretty weak. Perhaps if they put price on the shortened first season to grab casual fans, those buyers might become more willing to pay the regular prices for following seasons.

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
I too will be skipping Voyager as I had to do (sadly) with DS9. It is just impossible for me to justify to my spouse putting approximately $700 into the complete series. I fought the battle for TNG and won and proudly display them with Ric's SUPERB cover art.

And with a glimmer of hope that Paramount will be producing them - I will be fighting the battle again when TOS is released in season sets.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

Unfortunately, Voyager doesnt have as good a name as the other Trek incarnations. Thats going to hurt it.
I couldnt even buy DS9 at the prices that Paramount was charging so I definitely will not be getting this show.
Yes, there are some great episodes but not enough each season to warrant this kind of money.
I really think they would sell more if they were around $50.00-$60.00. The price plus the quality of the writing makes me pass on this one.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
DS9 can easily be picked up on eBay (with a little patience) for $450 for the entire series.

I predict that within two years from now, Voyager will be available the same way for about $300.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
While I am not Trek fans at all, I liked Voyager enough to want to own it, if only because I have a lot of memories attached to it - it was a constant presence in my college years. But there is no way in hell I am shelling out $100+ for this set, when my absolute favorite show (B5) can be had for half as much.

I would much rather spend that cash on TWO or more seasons of shows that will probably be worth it, sight unseen: 24, Buffy, Sopranos come to mind.

--
H

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'm never quite sure about this. The vocal, analytical fans (such as myself) look down our noses at this fetid pile of mediocrity while praising DS9, but Voyager merchandise and tie-ins always sold much better than DS9 stuff did. I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see this carry over to the DVDs, even though it seems Voyager's stock has dropped (and DS9's risen) since production ended.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks