What's new

ST:Voyager S1 Best Buy Bonus DVD (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The specs show 8 featurettes as part of the main set, that should include some stuff on Voyager.;)

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
An "extra" featurette disc on Star Trek: The Experience?

That's got to be one of the most lame-brain ideas Paramount Home Video has come up with since TNG Year 3 included that MP3 CD of two audio novels a couple of years ago.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... :thumbsdown:

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'm still waiting for the prices on the secondary star trek series to come down. At first I didn't mind paying $150 for TNG (100, usually on release), but after paying $40 on average for most other TV-on-DVD, Voyager and DS9 will have to wait for a serious price cut.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I've been buying the last few seasons of DS9 from eBay. I've paid less than retail anywhere.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Regarding the BB exclusive bonus DVD for Voyager, I actually kinda like the idea for the content. I've not been there yet, and since it's an extra bonus, if it's fluff, it's not going to be missed by some.

I just saw some images from one of the Voyager set featurettes called "The First Captain: Genevieve Bujold", what a revelation. I guess it's another instance of "What if", but from the image, I wonder if the show would have been better or worse. We'll have to wait and see the video of her portrayal, but I think Mulgrew was a prime ingredient for what made that show what it is. Of course I know theres a cadre of people out there who hated her voice. With all respects to Bujold, seeing her made up as Nicole Janeway, she looks more like a stern school teacher then a Starfleet captain.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I agree, Nelson. I haven't seen "Star Trek: The Experience," and am interested in getting a glimpse at it. The recreation of Quark's Bar sounds fascinating and worth a visit to see.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
So where can we see these pictures of the first Janeway? As I have no intention of buying the set I would at least like to get a glimpse at her in costume.

I've heard her portrayal was very "wispy and airy" or something to that extent. In some interview I read with Garret Wang he said she like sat in the captain chair, closed her eyes, and whispered, "Engage." Apparently it was very awkward.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Sean

The pictures of the first Janeway are in issue 148 of the Star Trek Magazine. It just arrived in the mail today, so it's likely on the newsstands. Maybe I can scan it and post it here. Wish I knew how to post images though.

Nelson

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Quarks bar was actually on the first episode of Voyager so it does have some voyager content :)

capt

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

Bit of a stretch, there...

ST: The Experience is very cool. But, aside from a model of Voyager and maybe some props in the museum, there is little in The Experience that relates directly to Voyager.

I think this bonus disc is off-target.

Re: The MP3 audio book extras for TNG... I rather enjoyed them. I can see the limited appeal if you're not interested in audio books - but I enjoyed listening to them on my commute to work.

-Scott

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

First of all, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine is well worth the $100/Season or so asking price. It should be remembered that all the Season Boxes with the exception of Season One contain 26 one hour episodes. (For the record, Season One contained 22 episodes.) That cannot be compared to, say, M*A*S*H at $39.95 which typically contains 22 one-half hour episodes. Also, Deep Space Nine, with it's mostly linear plotlines, translates better to DVD boxsets than any other Trek series in my opinion. The series maintained a very high quality throughout its seven year run (with most seasons containing 20 or more above average episodes) and therefore each Season Box represents a very good dollar/entertainment value quotient.

Now, when it comes to Star Trek: Voyager, I have to agree with you. (Especially so with Season One which contains only 16 episodes.) Even the most devout fans of this series admit that most seasons contained, at most, 11 above average episodes (with most of those being just barely above average), with at least 6 episodes every year being real "clunkers". You therefore have a very low dollar/entertainment value quotient with the current price structuring. Paramount really needs to reduce the price of Voyager by at least $25/box in order to better entice casual fans of the series to purchase these box sets.

Jodee

Screenwriter
Having been to the Star Trek: Experience in Vegas, I would be really interested in having this bonus disc. However, it is not worth it to me to pay $20 extra in order to buy the set at Best Buy. They usually sell the sets first week for $99.99 (plus Michigan 6% sales tax). I can buy the sets from Amazon.com via their Share-the-Love program at around $80 shipped with no sales tax. Couple that with the fact that Voyager is only a marginal buy for me (I only liked about half the episodes-- so many were clunkers.)

As much as a DS9 fan I am, I had to pass on getting the bonus discs at Best Buy as I can't justify spending $20 for a 15 minute DVD.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member

I appreciate your enthusiasm, and I know I haven't given Deep Space Nine the chance it deserved, but the price is holding me back bigtime. I still have yet to get TNG 5-7 or X-files season 7 because of price.

I did, however, give Babylon 5 a chance, since the prices on it were much more attractive (as well as the packaging). I've become a major fan of that series, though can see where people had trouble since the first season is uneven at best, and dreadful at worst.

If you check another thread here regarding top DVD sales at Amazon, you'll notice that in 2003, Babylon 5 charted twice, and DS9 charted not at all. I don't think this speaks to the numbers of fans each series has or to the quality of either series. I think it speaks directly to the asking price on the DS9 sets.

Lloyd White

Stunt Coordinator
That is just one store, out of thousands. I'd be very suprised if B5 outsold DS9. B5 isn't really that much cheaper, it's still on the expensive side when it comes to TV on DVD.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'll agree that Amazon's sales are not necessarily a reflection of overall sales, but as a premiere online vendor, they probably do carry some weight.

I'd be interested to see the overall sales, but I submit as fact that these sets are not selling as well because of price.

I picked up B5 S4 for $65 yesterday, BTW. That's a significant price difference to me.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
My Season One set arrived from BestBuy.com but the bonus disc was missing, has this happened to anyone else?

Edward Brand

Agent
I picked mine up at the Best Buy store in Irving, Tx. There were about 12 copies on the shelf and they all seem to have the bonus disc included. I paid $77 and some change as I had them price match a Fry's add that i had. My copy is nice accept for the fact that the adhesive they used to secure the paper backing was all over the case and my bonus dvd has some scratches on it. I used mineral spirits to clean everything up. So far I am very happy with my purchase although I don't think I would have paid Best Buys price of $99.99 + tax.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks