ST:TNG - The Chase

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Greg Walker, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Greg Walker

Greg Walker Stunt Coordinator

Just watched this episode as I make my way through Season 6. This is the episode where they find the message from a previously existing life form which has been encoded on DNA from the various species around the galaxy. I have only ever seen it once, but it has always stuck with me as being one of the best Next Generation episodes. The problem was I could never remember the name of it. I'm so excited to have rediscovered it.[​IMG]

2. Nicodemus

Nicodemus Stunt Coordinator

Yep, it's an excellent episode. But there's many of those in season 6. I'd say it's the best season of TNG.

3. Greg Walker

Greg Walker Stunt Coordinator

I agree.

I bought season seven first thinking that most of the great episodes were from the last year. I was sure surprised by the number of duds. I guess I blocked them out of my memory. I think I have enjoyed every single episode of season 6 though. Maybe I saw many of the season 6 epsiodes as repeats during season 7 when they were originally aired.

4. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    Yeah, I don't really get why so many consider Season 6 to be so weak; there are some really strong ones in there. "Chain of Command" and "Tapestry" are two (actually, three) of my favorites of the whole series, let alone the season.

Season 7 wasn't as consistently good, but at least the final episode was pretty strong.

5. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Another good one was the Philadelphia Experiment knock off. I think the episode was called "Pegasus". It is where a ship Riker once was assigned to used illegal cloaking technology with some nasty side effects went it was turned off.

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Looks to me like we're talking about the episode itself and not Paramount's DVD, which means the discussion should be here in TV Shows.

7. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I saw an interview with Ron Moore and he even said they were running out of good ideas by the 6th season. Not too many good ones by that point.

8. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    It's possible he has said different things in different interviews, but in the big 18-page interview posted a few months back, he agreed that season six was a high point. He, in fact, says he wishes they had ended it there and not gone out on the relatively weak season seven.

9. Britton

Britton Supporting Actor

I loved the fact that it was the Romulan Commander who contacted Picard at the end of the episode.

10. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

The Chase is a very good show and it is considered to be the most "Roddenberry-esque" story of the whole TNG. It sums up his point of view of a unified universe for the Star Trek world.

11. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

I remember the hologram projection at the end of the episode, the being looked like the changling "founder" in DS9.

12. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

That's because she's the same actress, Salome Jens.

13. Peter McM

Peter McM Supporting Actor

Peter
    It is generally assumed that the race seen at the climax of "The Chase" is the Preservers, discussed in the original series episode "Paradise Syndrome", who were thought to have been responsible for many of the galaxy's humanoid species.

14. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Um... By whom? The Preservers relocated humans on the order of thousands of years ago, whereas the aliens in "The Chase" were seeding planets with DNA billions of years ago, before becoming extinct or evolving into Organians or Metrons or whatever.

Or friggin' salamanders, if you believe Voyager.

15. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Nelson, I agree that "The Chase" is drenched in Roddenberryism, but the entire first season of TNG feels very much more like updated TOS. It has "Roddenberry" written all over it.