What's new

ST:TNG Season 5 Bonus Disc at Best Buy - worth it? (1 Viewer)

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
BestBuy.com has the bonus disc details up for Season 5. I wonder if it's worth it after all the glue from Season 4. Here are the details:

Includes a DVD Bonus Disc with 2 featurettes
A Best Buy "Enterprise" Exclusive!
"Alien Speak" - Explore Klingon and Romulan languages with linguist Marc Okrand
"Intergalactic Guest Stars" - Behind the scenes with Patrick Stewart, Jonathan Frakes, Will Wheaton, Brent Spiner and special guest Ashley Judd
Also, they also have the Season 6 bonus disc details too.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Even with Ashley Judd on the bonus disc, it's worthwhile to go somewhere where it's cheaper than Best Buy, especially with all the money I'll be spending on other DVD's that week!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Not sure why Daniel didn't mention the detals for the Season 6 bonus disc, but here they are:
Season 7 mentions a bonus disc will be included, but no details on what yet.
Here are the actual links:
Season 5
Season 6
Season 7
I think I will probably go for all of them, but that's by no means assured. $10 cheaper at Costco for all three of these sets...I'll have to decide if these DVD's are actually worth the tenner! :)

Sorry if this is slightly off topic, but does anyone know how long these bonus discs will come bundled with the season sets at Best Buy? I'm a season or two behind (I have this pesky desire to watch the seasons I have before I go out and buy another!) and I'm afraid that by the time I get to buying the last few seasons the bonus discs will no longer come with the sets.

Thanks …

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
Sorry David, thanks for filling the info in. I was going to post the Season 6 and 7 stuff with the links to all three seasons but the other IE window on my work PC froze on BestBuy.com (maybe they have too much glue on their website too :)) as did all the others I tried to bring up, so I just posted what I could and was going to come back after I rebooted, but I got caught up in something else till now.

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit
I just bought Season 4 (first time from Best Buy) and there is anwful lot more glue on the packaging than normal when you get the bonus disc. A pain in the butt to remove, too. I'll have to check out the bonus disc to see if it is worth it in the future...

GrantM

Stunt Coordinator
BB will probably have these for $99 plus tax (which would be about $107 for me). But I can get these from Canadian etailers for about $80, and alot of people have mentioned getting them from ebay and half.com for $50-$70. I would really like to get these bonus DVDs, but i'm not sure they're worth the $20-$60 extra!!!

Emil Stoica

Second Unit
Well, if you can find an ad from somewhere else, you can get BestBuy to price match. I did this with Season 4.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Grant,
Just to let you know, best buy owns the canadian company "Future Shop", and thus the bonus disc has been bundled with the copies purchased from there. In fact, ever since the first season, the copies from futureshop have been coming with a bonud disc :)
cheers!
Josh

GrantM

Stunt Coordinator
thx Josh, but i was under the impression that future shop didn't ship to the US.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
Here's a good editorial by Paul Russell of DVD Angle on all these exclusive bonus discs being offered. The only thing he forgot to include the part about BestBuy putting all that glue on the TNG box, which is one of the reasons I won't be ordering TNG from them again.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Interesting read. Let's think of all the Best Buy exclusive sampler DVDs there have been or are coming soon:
  • Fox Demo Disc #1 (Thanksgiving 2001)
  • DTS DVD-Audio Music Sampler (Holidays 2001)
  • The Scorpian King: Behind-the-Scenes (w/Fast and the Furious)
  • Nickelodeon DVD Sampler (w/Jimmy Neutron)
  • Time Machine Bonus Featurettes (w/Time Machine)
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 4: Bonus Featurettes (w/TNG S4)
  • Space: 1999 Bonus Featurettes (w/Space: 1999 MegaSet)
  • American Idol Bonus Featurettes (w/American Idol)
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 5: Bonus Featurettes (w/TNG S5)
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 6: Bonus Featurettes (w/TNG S6)
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 7: Bonus Featurettes (w/TNG S7)
Did I miss any? :)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I don't care for this bonus disc exclusive business.
I buy where the price is right, which lately seems to be Costco. I'm dissapointed I'm missing out, but it's not worth it to me to spend more. Especially since the whole MAP/MSRP has been taken advantage of. $99 shouldn't be the "sale" price.

JamesHromadka

Stunt Coordinator
Looking at BB's website, is it true that Season 6 comes out Dec 3 and Season 7 comes out Dec 31? My wife is going to kill me!

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Granted, bonuses are free 'gifts', a little something extra for fans, "take 'em or leave 'em", nevertheless:

I don't think the bonus really is much of a bonus after all!

Bonuses in my mind ought to be special, not just a place for little 20-minute materials that couldn't fit on the first 6-7 discs in the set.

So far, I prefer the inclusion of CD-ROMs as was done with the first three season sets. Though old titles, they have a lot more satisfying material on them (yes, even the audio books with three or more hours worth of narration performance, sound effects, and music). We're talking hours of enjoyment (CD-ROMs) versus minutes (DVDs).

Steven_J_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
As a trek fiend, I can say I didn't have that much of a problem with the glue on my copy that I bought at BB. And while I realize that it is only 20 minutes of additional material, I will be visiting my local BB in Nov and Dec. I already owned the cd roms, so I passed on them when they came out with the earlier sets.

Sorry if this is slightly off topic, but does anyone know how long these bonus discs will come bundled with the season sets at Best Buy? I'm a season or two behind (I have this pesky desire to watch the seasons I have before I go out and buy another!) and I'm afraid that by the time I get to buying the last few seasons the bonus discs will no longer come with the sets.
At my local BB the older copies no longer have the bonus material, but at my local Sam Goody they still have them with the extras.

Neil White

Supporting Actor
I'm with Scott. And despite Playcentric is one of those etailers that charges at the time of order, they are turning-out to be very reliable (at least for me) unlike some other Canadian sites I've been using. Watch those ST prices though. They fluctuate considerably. I pay an average of $80 a set.

Also, they have popup coupons on their site that give you a buck off. Whoohoo you say but it also gives free shipping. Leave the shipping option at the default 1st class mail and it will arrive in no time.

N

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks