ST: TNG collection to be released

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Greg_S_H, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Those who have said they would like key episodes but not entire seasons may be in luck, as TVShows is reporting that something called "The Picard Collection" is coming from Paramount. No further details are available, but TVShows does discuss the contents of an existing R2 collection with the same name.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=1367

2. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

This is a logical move. As some from the laserdisc era know, Paramount released a series of LD sets by themes. They included, The Q, The Borg and the Captain's series that included one episode of each Captain, Kirk, Picard, Sisko and Janeway.

It also is interesting in that I've been rewatching my sets recently, but I've focused on specific shows, like Romulan shows, then some Q shows.

I was expecting this![​IMG]

3. Bill>Moore

Bill>Moore Second Unit

Probably a pretty good idea. Get a few more sales from the folks who don't want the complete series, but prefer to get a few specific types of episodes.

4. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

It is a good idea, but only after the entire series is out on DVD, like ST:TNG is. I wouldn't want the studios to judge a TV Show release based on the sales of any type of collection.

5. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

I've already got the box sets, but it would be interesting if they released a collection with

CITY ON THE EDGE OF FOREVER
    THE INNER LIGHT
    IN THE PALE MOONLIGHT
    and whatever the "best" (fan favorite) VOYAGER episode is

6. Greg_S_H

Greg
    The one that jumps out for Voyager is Timeless. I'd have to look at a list to see if there were any others that might better fit the bill.

7. Amy Mormino

Amy Mormino Supporting Actor

This is a perfect idea and just what the Star Trek franchise as a whole needs. They really need to raise interest among casual viewers and newcomers. The seasons are too expensive for any but the most devoted fans to buy. Plus, let's fact it, the Star Trek shows have always been rather spotty with some brilliant episodes and some silly ones. I could definitely see myself buying this, especially as I've always liked Picard as a character.

8. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

Or they could just sell the season sets for

9. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Interesting. I had the entire collection but sold it off because I knew I'd never sit through the vast majority of eps again. But some are great and I may consider such collections. However, it's very problematic picking episodes that are worth it. I don't know if I'd buy a Picard set- while some are brilliant (Inner Light, where he's getting tortured by the Cardassian), some, like the one about his vacation, I can certainly live without.

If they released a Klingon collection, I'd be all over that.

10. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I purchased the "Borg Collective" Laserdisc. I did this mainly to get "The Best of Both Worlds" episodes shown as one seamless episode. I like it better that way than it being split into two separate episodes as originally presented.

11. Greg_S_H

Greg

Not to be a jerk, but I just wanted to note that the episode to which you are referring is actually Chain of Command Pt. II. Inner Light is the one where Picard lives a full lifetime in his mind.

12. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Speaking of Inner Light and Chains of Command, that kind of brings something up. The Picard Box Set - at least as far as the R2 release goes, contains these eps:

Allegiance, Captain's Holiday, Darmok, The Inner Light, Starship Mine, Lessons, Bloodlines

Then there's this list at StarTrek.com of "Ten Great Picard Episodes":

The Measure of a Man, Best of Both Worlds Part I, Best of Both Worlds Part II, Family, The First Duty, I Borg, The Inner Light, Chain of Command Part II, Tapestry, All Good Things Part II

Amazing how the only episode in common to both lists is The Inner Light. Why would the other great Picard eps be left off of a Picard box set?

Well, the answer's easy enough: Both Worlds and I Borg would, of course, be saved for the eventual "Borg Collective" DVD release. Measure would have to go on a Data Box Set, naturally. Tapestry and All Good Things would go with the eventual "Q Continuum" DVD set. And we're all waiting for The First Duty to be part of the final desparate grab: the Wesley Box Set. [​IMG]

What bugs me is that The Big Goodbye isn't mentioned anywhere, and that's a classic Picard episode, what with Dixon Hill and all. Ah, well...too many good Picard episodes I guess.

What do you think comes first? "The Romulan Box Set" or "The Best of the Klingons"? It's all good.

13. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

"The Reginald Barkley Collection" will be just after "The Worst of Wesley"

Ric

14. Lloyd White

Lloyd White Stunt Coordinator

Hehe, and ofcourse...people who thought Picard was over the top in the ST movie First Contact should rewatch I Borg. Watch Picard yelling at folks, walking around agitated, with none of the crew even trying to approach him except for Guinen (sp?). Picard was always a mean mug when it comes to the Borg.

As for the season box sets, I'd buy them all right now if they were 60$ a set, but the big price, plus constant rotation on SpikeTV, plus the really substandard picture quality on these episodes that don't look that hot on my HDTV has kept me from buying the high priced TNG sets. Ofcourse, I just had to get DS9, but I had to choose between that and TNG. These best of discs aren't what I'm looking for, but maybe some are, I'm sure they'll sell well.

15. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

I think this is a great idea for the casual Star Trek fan as well.

In some circumstances, it could even help fulfill the needs of some of the hard core fans.

For example, I purchased every Season box of both ST: TNG and ST: DS9 ... except for one: ST: TNG Season Two. I just couldn't bring myself to pay for Shades of Gray under any circumstances. [​IMG] That, plus the fact that it was already an abbreviated season (due to the Writer's Strike that year); and yet the price was the same as all the other boxes, kept me from pulling the trigger on that one season.

So, I would love to see a "Best of Data" collection that would include "The Measure of the Man"; and a "Borg" collection that would include "Q, Who?" (or would that be in the Q collection??)

Those episodes, plus "A Matter of Honor" (in the Klingon Box?) would satisfy my ST:TNG Season Two needs quite nicely!!

Now, I realize fully that the price of those three sets (if ever made available) would probably exceed the price I would've paid initially for ST:TNG Season Two, but I would still have achieved my objective of not owning "Shades of Gray"!! For that alone, it would be worth it to me!!

16. Dan Hinson

Dan Hinson Stunt Coordinator

Dan Hinson

Amen to that! [​IMG]

17. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate

But don't you still own "Masks" from Season 7?!? I can find more to like in Shades of Gray!

But seriously, I think the best-of DVD sets could be good for Star Trek. The franchise needs to get some of it's more casual fans back in the fold.

For the rest of us, I'm glad we'll be seeing TOS season sets by the time the year is up. (How many of us will own "Spock's Brain" for the 2nd or 3rd time??!)

18. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

lol!

Well ... At least Season 7 contained 25 episodes ... including the excellent two-hour "All Good Things ... " finale!

My point was that Season 2 was already "watered down" to 22 episodes due to the Writer's Strike. Add to that the "clip show" nature of "Shades of Gray", and I felt as though there were really only 21 original episodes in the season. I was therefore looking for a price break from Paramount for Season 2. When I didn't get it, I got a little irked. (It's the same reason I refuse to pay from $90 to $139.95 for the 15 episode Voyager Season One.)