What's new

ST:TNG as multiple discs in DVD Profiler? (1 Viewer)

Nick Pudar

Agent
I'm one who likes to store and count my DVDs as separate discs when they come in box sets. In the past, when I recorded them into DVD Profiler, I have always been able to find UPC codes for each disc, thereby getting a separate entry for each disc.

Has anyone figured out how to do this when you don't have the UPC codes for each disc as is the case with ST:TNG. I'd rather not count the 7 discs as though they were 1.

Any solutions out there?

Nick

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Not a solution but a question for you. How would you count a two disc set such as Forrest Gump or Galdiator?

Neil White

Supporting Actor
You can spin up the disc in a DVD ROM (assuming you have one) and add by disc ID I think. Look at the DVD Profiler entries for the Toy Story Ult Box set. The discs are in there by disc ID.

N

Kai Zas

Second Unit
Not possible, it doesn't identify the disc.
Why would you do this, anyway? Is it to brag about the number of discs you have? ;)

Brian E

Screenwriter
I suppose you could manualy enter them. Just make up a barcode for each disc, something like 000000000001, 000000000002 and so on.

Alex Morrow

Stunt Coordinator
My guess for the reason for doing this would be so that you could "rent" out certain discs of your collection and still keep track of them all. So then Steve could have disc 3 and Bob could have disc 7 of your star trek box set that you just got. For those of us who actually let their friends borrow their dvds.

Nick Pudar

Agent
Why would you do this, anyway? Is it to brag about the number of discs you have?
First question -- I treat each 2-disc set as one title, so it only shows up as one entry. But when a box set such as the Die Hard trilogy comes out, I would rather have each title appear in the database. I've printed out a catalogue of all the titles so that friends and family can browse it more easily. For the ST:TNG, I'd like to have a separate entry for each disc so that each one can list the episodes that it contains in the catalogue.
For the second question...
I'm one of a minority of people who puts their DVDs in slim-CD cases. I also scan in and print new liners for the slim-CD cases from the original artwork. This is my interim solution to a space problem. I've got one of those lazy-susan style shelf units (I forget the brand name -- it's been talked about a lot here in the past) that holds 650 DVDs or 1050 CDs. It will actually hold about 2000 slim-CD cases -- so this solution should hold me for a while. It is convenient, and space efficient, but the downside is that there are no spine labels for easy visual loacation. So, I've placed small plastic place-markers every ten titles, with small number labels on the shelves with a rub-on lettering set. This way I can quickly find a title with little effort. However, if a single title had seven discs, there would be 17 discs between markers, making it more cumbersome to locate the right one.
I don't have access to my digital camera for a few days, but when I get it, I'll post a link to a few pictures of what this looks like. It's not as crazy as it sounds.
I'm still holding on to all of the original cases for the day when I have a full-wall built-in DVD-case in place. At that time, if anyone is interested in a lot of empty slim-CD cases.... :)
Nick

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
If a disc isn't recognized by placing it in the drive, it can always be added by the user.

If you go the route of making up UPC codes, please please please do not upload the information.

-Dave

Nick Pudar

Agent
Well, thanks to the good advice here, I was able to edit the UPC code for the set by appending an "01" after it. Then I added a new copy of the collection, appended the UPC code with an "02", and continued this for all seven discs. In the description area for each disc, I detailed the episode names. Now when friends and family browse the catalogue of discs, they can more easily find the episode and disc.
As promised, now that I am back home, I was able to take a few pictures of the storage solution that I use with these slim-CD cases. You can see them here .
nick

PhilShen

Grip
I'd like to confirm what Neil said above - put the disc in your dvd-rom and identify the disc by its ID. Even if it's not found in the Profiler Database, your local database should be able to distiguish between the discs and you can manually enter some of the info for each disc.

I was able to split out my Die Hard Trilogy Boxset this way - the Profiler DB even distinguishes between the Die Hard 5-star and the Die Hard 2 & 3 SE's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks