ST:TNG as multiple discs in DVD Profiler?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick Pudar, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Nick Pudar

Nick Pudar Agent

I'm one who likes to store and count my DVDs as separate discs when they come in box sets. In the past, when I recorded them into DVD Profiler, I have always been able to find UPC codes for each disc, thereby getting a separate entry for each disc.

Has anyone figured out how to do this when you don't have the UPC codes for each disc as is the case with ST:TNG. I'd rather not count the 7 discs as though they were 1.

Any solutions out there?

Nick

2. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

Not a solution but a question for you. How would you count a two disc set such as Forrest Gump or Galdiator?

3. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

You can spin up the disc in a DVD ROM (assuming you have one) and add by disc ID I think. Look at the DVD Profiler entries for the Toy Story Ult Box set. The discs are in there by disc ID.

N

4. Kai Zas

Kai Zas Second Unit

Not possible, it doesn't identify the disc.
    Why would you do this, anyway? Is it to brag about the number of discs you have? [​IMG]

5. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

I suppose you could manualy enter them. Just make up a barcode for each disc, something like 000000000001, 000000000002 and so on.

6. Alex Morrow

Alex Morrow Stunt Coordinator

My guess for the reason for doing this would be so that you could "rent" out certain discs of your collection and still keep track of them all. So then Steve could have disc 3 and Bob could have disc 7 of your star trek box set that you just got. For those of us who actually let their friends borrow their dvds.

7. Nick Pudar

Nick Pudar Agent

8. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

If a disc isn't recognized by placing it in the drive, it can always be added by the user.

If you go the route of making up UPC codes, please please please do not upload the information.

-Dave

9. Nick Pudar

Nick Pudar Agent

Well, thanks to the good advice here, I was able to edit the UPC code for the set by appending an "01" after it. Then I added a new copy of the collection, appended the UPC code with an "02", and continued this for all seven discs. In the description area for each disc, I detailed the episode names. Now when friends and family browse the catalogue of discs, they can more easily find the episode and disc.
    As promised, now that I am back home, I was able to take a few pictures of the storage solution that I use with these slim-CD cases. You can see them here .
    nick

10. PhilShen

PhilShen Extra

I'd like to confirm what Neil said above - put the disc in your dvd-rom and identify the disc by its ID. Even if it's not found in the Profiler Database, your local database should be able to distiguish between the discs and you can manually enter some of the info for each disc.

I was able to split out my Die Hard Trilogy Boxset this way - the Profiler DB even distinguishes between the Die Hard 5-star and the Die Hard 2 & 3 SE's.