ST: TMP MSRP...you guys are slippin....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony_H, Aug 22, 2001.

1. Anthony_H

Anthony_H Stunt Coordinator

Anthony
    Got back to my computer after my short vacation... I thought I would brush up on the newest/latest in DVD news. Checked out DVDREVIEW and found the break down for the upcoming STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE release. Interesting... I have been waiting for this title. My eyes moved down to the price..... 29.99!?!!? "Oh.." I though... "the guys on HOMETHEATER are going to have a field day with this." Guess what?!? Not a post. Looks like PARAMOUNT is finally breaking down and giving us SEs... but we are going to have to pay for them. What do you all think? A fair price?

2. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

Paramount prices suck. 29.95 is MSRP for most Paramount releases, so really, you're getting a bargain if this is a SE priced at 29.95. Fortunately, Paramount transfer normally are worth the money.
    Just a few examples...
    The Dead Zone - 29.95
    The Gift - 29.95 MSRP
    The Conversation - 29.95 MSRP
    The Virgin Suicides - 29.95 MSRP
    Trekkies (yes, Trekkies) - 29.95 MSRP
    You Can Count on Me - 29.95 MSRP
    Where's Marlow? - 29.95 MSRP
    200 Cigarettes - 29.95 MSRP
    As a matter of fact, I'd like to know if there's a Paramount dvd out there that doesn't have less than a 29.95 MSRP. Sorry to go on at length about this, but this is the one reason why I have so few Paramounts in my collection. Again, I stress, that every Paramount dvd I have watched have had great transfers and audio, but it's just in my nature to go for the lower priced dvds, so I unfortunately don't have many Paramounts, including both Dead Zone and The Gift, which I want very badly. *sigh* I just need a better job. [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Ben Motley on August 22, 2001 at 06:44 PM]

3. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Considering that a lot of work went into this DVD; considering it's a two-disc set with lots of extras; considering you'll be able to purchase it for around $20.00 or so from Best Buy or another B&M, I consider it a good deal. [​IMG]

4. Ben Motley

It's a two-disc set?!? Anthony, they are being very nice to you and all Trek fans on this one.

5. Anthony_H

Anthony
    OK...maybe I'm slippin. I dont normally buy PARAMOUNT because (SURPRISE) they dont normally do SEs. You mean they have been charging those prices for non-SEs all this time? I guess I can see why people are upset with the studio.

6. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

I don't Paramount's pricing THAT much. What is good about getting a Paramount title is that you'll generally (about four times out of five) be getting a really good transfer from the elements available. And that's the most important thing to me.

7. Ben Motley

Yes, it IS a surprise that they're doing an SE, really it is. For Paramount, the movie itself is the main priority, and extras really take a back seat, much more so than any other company. I really haven't heard (read) much Paramount bashing. I think it's because while they charge premium prices, no one can argue the quality of the films themselves. I can only think of one Paramount I have off the top of my head, and that's The Conversation, which has an incredible, beautiful transfer, and actually does have a great supplement, being a very personal commentary by Francis Ford Coppola. Yes, Paramount charges premium prices, but what they do, they do right.

8. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

9. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

These Paramount titles MSRPed for $24.95 out the barn...
    Wayne's World
    Wayne's World 2
    Crocodile Dundee
    Crocodile Dundee 2
    Necessary Roughness
    North Dallas Forty
    The Longest Yard
    And about fifty or so titles should have had the MSRPs dropped to $24.95 including...
    The Naked Gun
    The Naked Gun 2 - The Smell of Fear
    The Naked 33 1/3 - The Final Insult
    200 Cigarettes
    Kiss The Girls
    And $29.95 for a two disc set is a bargain compared to the $49.95 MSRP for A Bug's Life - Collector's Edition and $39.95 MSRP for Halloween: 20 Years Later.
    ------------------

10. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

I am curious. Why all the anticipation for this title. When it came out in the theatre, even major Star Trek fans were disappointed with it. The word "boring" was used more than once in any conversation about it. I won't say that it was the worst ST film made....I reserve that honour for "The Undiscovered Country" (hope I'm remembering that right) but it comes close.
    ------------------

11. Ben Motley

Well, I wasn't going to say anything. [​IMG]

12. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

13. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

14. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

My popular consensus is that Final Frontier is THE worst movie ever made. Below Ed Wood's worst, below Doris Wishman's worst, etc. THE worst. Just godawful.
    IMHO, of course [​IMG]
    ------------------
    "This movie has warped my fragile little mind."
    [Edited last by Mark Zimmer on August 23, 2001 at 09:42 AM]

15. Anthony_H

Anthony
    Another reason I am awaiting this film is because it was the only true BIG BUDGET Star Trek film. Special effects are incredible...never since has the Enterprise seemed so "real" to me.... especially with that long establishing shot. The producers assumed for whatever reason that the budget was responsible for the film's "failure", rather than a bad script. From the sequel forward... the films were never again treated with the respect a big budget movie with high production values were and are afforded. Yes.. they had some good films.. but when they are broken down...they were essentially upgraded TV episodes. The first film lived up to its sub -title..... A MOTION PICTURE. An event...

16. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

I'm not buying it, but I would have to say that $29.99 is probably the average MSRP for 2-disc sets and/or Special Editions these days.
    It's titles like Enemy at the Gates for $29.99 that, when compared to Star Trek make no sense from a value standpoint. However, Paramount is probably pricing based on expected demand (and a ROI hurdle rate), so in that case the prices make sense. Clearly, EATG is not going to sell like Star Trek will.
    Regards,
    Dan

17. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

Sorry, but IMHO The Final Frontier is a movie classic next to the pigswill that was Generations. [​IMG]
    For the record, my ordering goes as follows: 2,6,1,4,3,8,9,5,7

18. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Paramount had announced the release date and theatre owners expected the film to be delivered on time. If the film had not been delivered there would have been major lawsuits. I'd say that director Robert Wise had problems finishing the film, for whatever reasons, and some of the special effects were not completely finished. Even the color-timing was off within certain scenes. The film was a bit "pompus and self-important" to my thinking but not really that bad. I'm looking forward to the DVD because it should look and sound better. Can't do anything, however, about the awful costumes and tacky art direction in my opinion.
    ------------------

19. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    The original series Star Trek DVD's from Paramount all have a list price of $19.95, which makes them the lowest priced Paramount DVD's.
    Neil
    ------------------
    "Conspiracy theorists don't live on the same flat Earth as the rest of us." -- astronomer Stephen Maran
    [Edited last by Neil S. Bulk on August 23, 2001 at 04:16 PM]

20. aaron campbell

aaron campbell Second Unit

Just wait, Best Buy will have this for under 20 bucks. [​IMG]
    Aaron