St. Paddy's Day Supper Recommendations

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Dubbelboer, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

Planning on doing a green themed supper for st. patrick's day for a couple friends before hitting the bars. We're just throwing around a couple ideas here but was thinking of maybe making up some green colored stew to throw over some green rice. We were also gonna whip up a batch of buns that had also been dyed green. Anyone have any other potential ideas? or anyone have any experience dying food green?

we also need a dessert if anyone knows anything enticing and green.

thanks,

oh and i forgot to mention nothing with nuts as there's going to be at least one person allergic.

2. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

What? No corned beef, cabbage and boiled potatoes. Sacrilege.

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Try Irish Stew.
    Basically, it's potatoes (No potatoes on St. Paddy's Day? BLASPHEMY!), carrots, lamb, and little Guinness. [​IMG]
    I'm sure there's a thousand ways to make it, but it's basically a stew with lamb.
    [​IMG]

4. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Get green food coloring and go to town (a little dab will do it). Add the dye prior to cooking / baking.

I'd 2nd the corned beef, potatoes, and cabbage (very easy to cook & cheap). It's filling and won't upset your stomach (good bar food)...

5. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

St. Patricks day happens to be my birthday so I'll probably be off at some restaurant celebrating with the hubby. Maybe I'll check back in this thread to get some ideas of things to do.[​IMG]

6. Trey Fletcher

Trey Fletcher Second Unit

I'll echo the sentiment that potatoes are a must for any meal with an Irish theme. I would think mashed potatoes would be incredibly easy to color. Boil some red potatoes, add cream, butter, and green food coloring. Whip with a mixer, and voila! Of course season with salt and pepper as well, but you get the picture. Stew or corned beef could easily be served over a pile of green potatoes. Garnish with minced chives or parsely for more color if you want. And of course, a pint of Guiness!

7. paul o'donnell

paul o'donnell Second Unit

You don't need green food to be a little bit Irish.
    You just have to have the crack without doing any drugs. [​IMG]
    Food wise. Potatoes - either mash or boiled. Cabbage.
    Or like someone said, stew.