What's new

St. Elsewhere Season 2? (1 Viewer)

SBar54321

Auditioning
Real Name
Susan
Is there ever going to be a release of the other 5 seasons of St. Elsewhere beginning with season 2?
This is one of my all-time favorite shows and I can't believe they have only released season1 !!
Does anyone have info on this?

Peace,
SBar

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I doubt Fox will release more seasons on dvd:frowning:
Clear cut case of tv dvd abandonment.
Let's hope they at least have the decency to license out the remaining seasons to another studio so we can finish the run on dvd!

SBar54321

Auditioning
Real Name
Susan
I wonder why they won't release the other seasons?
Even very obscure shows are being released. You would think a highly successful show like St. Elsewhere would sell well.
Any reason given?
Susan

SBar54321

Auditioning
Real Name
Susan
Has any reason ever been given as to why they won't release the other seasons? St. Elsewhere was such a huge hit I would think they would have a large audience and would sell alot of DVDs.
So many obscure shows are being released everyday, so naturally I'm disappointed that a hit show isn't being released.
Peace,
SBar

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Actually, St. Elsewhere wasn't a hit in the traditional sense. It did extremely well in the 18-34 urban demographics (which earned it ad revenues comparable to top 10 hits, which, along with several Emmy wins and critical adoration, kept it on for six years), but as an overall ratings performer in households it did not do that well. It was #86 out of 98 shows in its first season, and it never ranked in the top 30. Comparatively, Hill Street Blues peaked at #21 in the overall ratings in the 1982-1983 season.

Every time Fox stops a show they always claim "poor sales," without giving a definition of what that means. We have no idea what numbers it did or what it cost to make the set, or if it recovered the costs of making it.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

You also have to understand some studio's expectations.

One dvd company could sells a 30,000 units, and be overjoyed with the numbers.
A larger studio may consider 30,000 units a failure, and not worth their time.

Which may be the case with St. Elsewhere, and Hill Street Blues.

SBar54321

Auditioning
Real Name
Susan
Thanks for the replies. I didn't realize that the ratings for St. Elsewhere and Hill Street Blues were so low. My memory had them both alot higher in the rankings.
I can still hope, wish, whatever for the remaining seasons of St. Elsewhere, though.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Peace,
SBar

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I dig this thread up not because of DVDs, but because... the entire series is available on Hulu.

Between this and The Practice, it looks like Fox has officially abandoned DVD and even licensing the stuff out. But, at least the entire show is finally available to watch.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What?!?

Have you sampled any of it, Robert?!? How do they look?

This would only happen with Fox' blessing, I would think. Wow.

I dont have Hulu, but I just saw the news about an hour ago myself and checked Hulu to be sure before posting it here.

So all I can tell you is that they say they have 137 episodes of it, which is all of them.

Oh, and by "licensing it out", I meant to companies like Shout for discs. But yeah, on Hulu, it's there because Fox said so.

Also, for those who care, that comment about The Practice was because Fox has let that show out of the vault as well on Hulu, and it's finally available to watch somewhere.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Oh, and by "licensing it out", I meant to companies like Shout for discs. But yeah, on Hulu, it's there because Fox said so.

With the upcoming Disney/Fox merger, most likely the home entertainment dvd/bluray division is "zombie" operation by now, if it wasn't before already.

If I had to guess, wonder if it is a different divison in the Fox empire which handles syndication on cable or services like hulu, netflix, etc ...

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
If you're stuck with Verizon Wireless for what they laughingly call "broadband," streaming most anything is out of the question unless you like to watch things in five-second segments punctuated by 30-40 seconds of buffering.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you're stuck with Verizon Wireless for what they laughingly call "broadband," streaming most anything is out of the question unless you like to watch things in five-second segments punctuated by 30-40 seconds of buffering.

That's why I keep saying "streaming is not the future".

Net Neutrality is dead. It's only so long before the ISPs start socking it to people and capping bandwidth, throttling it back, and making you pay an outrageous amount of money for a tiered service if you want to be able to stream. And then us disc buyers will be the smart ones!!!

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

But seriously, streaming is great for now, but the future is still too big a question mark, and not a pretty looking one.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I dont have Hulu, but I just saw the news about an hour ago myself and checked Hulu to be sure before posting it here.

So all I can tell you is that they say they have 137 episodes of it, which is all of them.

Also, for those who care, that comment about The Practice was because Fox has let that show out of the vault as well on Hulu, and it's finally available to watch somewhere.

If St. Elsewhere is on Hulu, could Trapper John, M.D. be sometime in the future?

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If St. Elsewhere is on Hulu, could Trapper John, M.D. be sometime in the future?

It looks more hopeful than ever. First The Practice, then St. Elsewhere. Two major unreleased shows from the Fox vaults. Trapper would complete the Trifecta.

Then AfterMASH and White Shadow and Room 222...

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
That's why I keep saying "streaming is not the future".

Net Neutrality is dead. It's only so long before the ISPs start socking it to people and capping bandwidth, throttling it back, and making you pay an outrageous amount of money for a tiered service if you want to be able to stream. And then us disc buyers will be the smart ones!!!

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

But seriously, streaming is great for now, but the future is still too big a question mark, and not a pretty looking one.

I'm somewhat of the opposite tract. Short term I'm somewhat pessimistic about the performance of streaming.

I'm more optimistic in the longer term (ie. possibly after I die or get alzheimers disease). I'm sure the streaming will be ubquitous and here to stay, but I probably won't be here to enjoy its fruits.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I'm somewhat of the opposite tract. Short term I'm somewhat pessimistic about the performance of streaming.

I'm more optimistic in the longer term (ie. possibly after I die or get alzheimers disease). I'm sure the streaming will be ubquitous and here to stay, but I probably won't be here to enjoy its fruits.
Our Canadian experience with streaming definitely greatly differs from the U.S. That's just the way it is.

CHEERS! :)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I only really use vod/streaming for recent/current shows. Older shows I still watch on disc.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
With so many current/recent shows going dvd-only or dvd-mod, I don't think there's any point anymore in buying recent/current tv shows on optical discs. (Such as many Fox produced shows). Especially when theoriginal broadcasts are in hd resolution.

Eventually I'll move onto vod/streaming for older shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks