What's new

ST: DS9 question (1 Viewer)

KyleC

Supporting Actor
I've been watching the seasons of DS9 for the past year or so. I'm only on season 4 right now but I have a problem. In the darker scenes, I notice "ghosting." Like someone's face against a darker background if they move you notice it like for a split second. If you look at someone's eyes when they move you can see their eyes stay for a second where they were before they move. It's nothing terribly too noticeable but afficiandos like us would. I was just wondering if one of the settings on my DVD player could help or eliminate that. I have a Sony NS400D.

update: I watched the finale for season 4 last night and it was really grainy in spots.

Wezzo

Second Unit
Well, I actually have the same problem regarding that - it may just be a bad transfer..?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I didn't notice any such problems.

Could it be your TV?

KyleC

Supporting Actor
Could be. I only have a 27" CRT, and my DVD-player is non-progressive.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
The DS9 sets, unfortunately, like the TNG sets, could have seen better transfers.

Later seasons seem a bit better overall, but darker scenes, especially in earlier seasons, suffer from occasional pixelation and some drifting pixels.

I give the series high marks for production value, and the sets good marks for content - but most people have been somewhat disappointed in the picture quality. It looks better than I saw on the original broadcast, but our expectations for DVD are higher than that.

TV product on DVD varies wildly in quality. These are somewhere in the middle of the pack.

-Scott

KyleC

Supporting Actor
So will these look better on an HDTV with progressive? My big problem with the Trek sets so far is the audio, particularly the bass. Space battles are lackluster at best, and while I haven't gotten to seasons 6 and 7 of DS9 my expectations are low. Explosions are very low and almost non-existent. That's another reason why I can't wait for a First Contact SE.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

Your problem isn't with the Trek sets; it's with the original Trek audio. None of the TV shows has ever sounded like a big-budget theatrical release, and they never will.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks