SSX Tricky for Xbox

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott L, Dec 8, 2001.

1. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Anyone know if this will be a port from the PS2 version? I'm asking because the GC's was and people say it seems to suffer more from slowdown and just worse graphics in general.

I'm guessing the Xbox version will have DD sound instead of DTS like the PS2. It'll be interesting to see if the DD will sound better than the ps2 version.

Can't wait till Dec 18!

2. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

We should know next week - it looks like the ship date was moved up to the 11th. =)

-Dave

3. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

AFAIK, the game was made to take advantage of each console but still remain the same game. So the X-Box and GameCube have slightly better graphics and effects, but overall, are the exact same thing (other than DD on the XB, I think).

Also, I heard the GCN version felt less polished because it was a newer platform. I would assume the XB version feels similar because its a new platform, unless it is released later because they were fixing it up.

4. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

I just got my shipment notice, so I'll give you the skinny as soon as I get the disc in the mail =)

-Dave

5. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Yup Dave, very interested to know how this compares to Amped, in your opinion.

6. Scott L

Scott L Producer

IGN gave it a 9.0 but you can only read the detailed review if you subscribed to their INsider program. [​IMG] If anyone gets a hold of the review, would you mind summarizing what they say on the sound and how the other features compare to the ps2 version? I'm trying to decide which system to get it for before Christmas. Thanks..
    btw- Ryan I like your site! I like the IMAX DVDs myself.

7. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

The [email protected] is now open to all...
    http://xbox.ign.com/reviews/16593.html
    -Dave

8. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

This port bodes well for future XBox ports such as Tony Hawk 3 and GTA3.

9. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

First of all: [​IMG]
    So far, I think this is an excellent version of the game. I rented the PS2 version for a week, and after a few hours I'm glad I waited for the XBOX version, although both versions have their pros and cons.
    The overall impression that I have is that the XBOX version is smoother and cleaner. The frame rate is more consistent, although it still gets a little choppy when the camera zooms in on a tight curve with numerous boarders. Note that is in the 16:9 mode - I had heard that the PS2 version was locked in to 60fps in the 4:3 mode, but I never played the 4:3 version. (Incidentally, widescreen is no longer a menu option, and is auto-detected). The image seems clearer, probably due to the progressive scan. Textures also look sharper.
    I haven't noticed volumetric smoke, which was listed in the previews, but I still have a ways to go in the game. There are extra lighting effects that weren't present in the PS2 version, such as halos around lights, and shadows. During the game it's an improvement, but in the little "drama" scenes after a race, the shadows look horrible. These scenes are so awful that I skip them anyway, so no big loss for me.
    I'm not a great judge of sound, but the Dolby Digital seems more natural sounding & not as harsh as the PS2 DTS sound. (For the PS2 version, I preferred the Dolby Surround to the DTS).
    The PS2 still has the edge in the control department, although the XBOX control scheme is holding up well. At least so far. I haven't gotten into the more advanced tricks, but I see that the black button is used as a "modifier". I can't see how I'll ever get used to that - it's hard for me to reach. Also, when you view the trick book, arrows are poorly represented by a picture of the d-pad. It can be tough to tell what direction is indicated.
    For me the differences come down to: XBOX=480p, PS2=Better control. If I didn't have a widescreen tv capable of 480p, I'd go with the PS2 version.
    As far as Amped goes, I think its like comparing Sega's Ferrari F355 Challenge to Ridge Racer. Amped is more technical, and has a steeper learning curve. It's also much more laid back, and kinda relaxing. SSX Tricky is much more arcadey. Just jump in and start bustin' out the tricks. Everyone should have both. [​IMG]
    -Dave

10. Michael St. Clair

Can the control scheme be modified?

Alternate controllers (including the Japanese Xbox controllers) plus the inevitable PS2->Xbox controller adaptors from Hong Kong might make better control possible...especially if there are options to change the mappings and scheme.

How does the Xbox framerate compare to the ORIGINAL PS2 SSX, which I have played extensively? I need a smooth framerate to enjoy a racing game.

Has anyone verified if the 16:9 mode on this game actually gives you more sides, or just less top and bottom?

I kind of doubt the 60fps in 4:3 claim for the PS2, but we'll see!

11. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

I own the PS2 version of SSX Tricky (also the original) and I would say you get 60fps (to my eye) in 90% of the game.

There is one slope in an ice cave at Aloha Ice Jam that seems to bring the system to below 30 for a few seconds, other than that and some turns in Alaska, I think they have pulled off the required frame rate.

Of course, I never had a problem with it in the original either.

I chose the PS2 version because the game was designed with the Dual Shock in mind (my favorite controller out of all the consoles). I can pull those tricks off in my sleep with it. Plus getting it a month earlier doens't hurt. I'm a SSX junkie.

Doug

12. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

XBOX Tricky gives more information on the sides. In both 4:3 and 16:9, I started a showoff race in Elysium Alps. On the final screen that lists the point values of the flakes, you get a good still frame that will always look the same. Before the race starts, the character holds onto some yellow rectangular bars. In 4:3, you see 4 complete bars & the sides of 2 additional. In 16:9, you see 6 complete bars.

There may be a little information cropped from the top - it's too close to tell.

In 16:9, the frame rate feels smoother than the PS2 Original & Tricky.

-Dave

13. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Since I've had a lot of experience with Amped (I'm ranked under 30th and have unlocked all the mountains) I'm going to rent this game on Monday and see how it compares. I never played the original SSX, so this is a new experience.

14. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Ok, I finally got to all of the levels, and I would like to update my review: BUY THIS GAME!
    The more I play the game, the more that I notice the details. In the later levels, there are some spots where you get to see a huuuge, highly detailed vista, with no slowdown, no pop-up. The character models are very detailed as well, and SSX definitely has the edge over Amped's somewhat low-res character models. Graphics-wise, of the XBOX games that I have played, I would rank it very close in quality to DOA3. There were several "Oh my god" moments while playing this game. [​IMG] I'm sooooo glad EA put in a widescreen mode.
    Controls are a non-issue. I love the new control scheme, and I could be persuaded to say that it is better than the PS2 scheme. It is simplified, but it turns out to be a good thing. I still don't know what the black button is for, though [​IMG]
    Now I gotta go unlock the rest of Elise's costumes....
    BTW: Ryan - A 30th place ranking is a helluva accomplishment!
    -Dave

15. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Dave: thanks! It was harder for me to get to 27th on Amped than it was to pass Halo in Heroic difficulty. I'm on Nixon Jibfest right now and close to unlocking Pro 3 I think so hopefully I should be top 10 after I do that and go after those easier pros again (although I shudder to think how hard the pros will be on that level after beating them all on the pro 2 level)

You make me want to buy this game now. But is it all racing or can you just chill out and enjoy the views? Isn't there a half pipe to unlock? How is that? Is the replay value high?

Lastly, do you really think the characters are low res on Amped? I mean, on the 2 far away views they are a little blurry (I'm not using 480p though) but on the closeup camera angle they seem incredibly detailed?

Which camera angle do you like to race with on Amped?

Thanks for your review and comparision though! I'm still renting this game on Monday, I think I'll enjoy it a lot!