What's new

SSX is getting ridiculous... (1 Viewer)

Frank Grimes

Second Unit
is it just me, or can one not pass Kick Doubt- Slopestyle without comboing the whole thing. I've managed to do it in two combos yet still only end up with about 500k points. Any one beaten this have advice?

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
Yeah Frank, I've found most of the slopestyle courses require you to get as high a combo as possible in order to get the higher scores.

the demo is nothing like the SSX games that I have played
In what sense? There's no individual stylized courses, but it's for the sake of a more cohesive setting. I think having it all on one mountain is actually pretty cool, especially when you do the Peak 3 Peak-to-Valley race that takes you from the top of the mountain to the bottom in around 30 minutes in one race.

Other than that I think it's almost the same, and things that were changed are for the better mostly. The best characters are back, all the ubers are back, plus you get to buy and select different ubers if you don't like the defaults. There's grind ubers as well. The only thing I don't like is that unlimited boost runs out after about 2 minutes, but that's a minor change to make things a bit more difficult.

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
Oh. Nah, not really. It's still the same over-the-top speed, air and tricks. Amped's more simulation, right?

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
SSX3 "borrowed" a lot of the structure and layout of Amped, but the game mechanics are still cleanly split between SSX's arcade style and Amped's realistic style.

SSX3 is a lot like the lovechild of Amped and Tricky, which is a pretty good mix. :)

-Dave

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Keep in mind that Dean mentioned he played the demo version, which I found very different from the polished final store-shelf product that is SSX3.

The demo, for lack of a more specific or intelligent word, "sucked". Control way off, camera way off, tree/foliage polygons getting in the way of the camera, unfinished textures, etc. etc. etc. I spent 60% of the demo just tumbling endlessly down a mass of sketchy polygonal mountain.

The final game is much, much, much (much) better. It feels more like SSX - though the physics have been altered somewhat. There is a bit more of a "gravity bounce" and quite frankly, it gives the game a less rigid feeling.

I do find it a little too easy to land. You just take your hands off the controls and voila! - instant landing position.

But this game is great, because although some of the tracks are a little too easy to medal on (half-pipes especially), the later peaks have some real challenges - also, the game sets high score/trick challenges for you (check out the details in the lodge) that take you above and beyond "getting a gold" on any given track. It's fun trying to unlock everything. Great game.

~Steve

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Like Steve Y, I'm having a great time with SSX3, which is a profound, marked departure from that PSM Demo. Night and day.

I am having rough time even getting bronze on many of the races/challenges, but much of that has to do with not having the time to learn the courses. Videogaming is now about 2-3% of my time, whereas it used to be more like 15. :D

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
Interesting that EA would allow the demo to go out if it was so bad, you'd think word of mouth could have hurt sales, kinda like The Hulk Superbowl trailer.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Love it love it love it! Easily one of the funnest most addicting games I have ever played. I have never owned any of the other SSX games so I can't compare. I love how the mountain is so open and you have to snowboard or take a lift chair to get to different events or locations. The 30 minute peak 3 race is awesome.

Mark Giles

Second Unit
Yeah, i think that's one of the best features about the ssx3 installment. The abilty to go thru the entire mountain seamless! No pauses, no cut scenes. As if it was one large circuit. I read about this feature but still I doubted that there wouldn't be any breaks in gameplay until I actually played. Very impressive.

Playing SSX reminds me so much of skiing/snowboarding. The sound effects, lighting(day/dawn/night), spray painted arrows on the snow. This is one of my favorite games of all time.

David Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
Kick Doubt is a pain. Make sure that you have kicked up all of your stats to 11. The key to racking up the points here is to build up the Super-Uber meter as high as possible, and then pull Super-Uber tricks on the ramps and combo the trick on the grind poles in the air. Without these combos, you'll have to hit a lot of super-uber tricks off the ramps and make sure you can grab the icons.

SSX3 is a great game, and it really is a continuation of SSX:Tricky. If you liked Tricky, I suspect you'll fall in love with SSX3 quickly.

Peter Rohlfs

Second Unit
Real Name
Peter Rohlfs
I have the PS2 version.

Though I like the Virtua Fighter style cusomization of characters, I think the alot sense of fun that was in the previous 2 SSX track designs is gone.

No race comes even close to the Tokyo Megaplex or Hawaii.

I'm also not crazy about the one on one races that are required to advance in racing.

As someone who mostly likes racing, this game is one step forward and 2 steps back.

Peter

Frank Grimes

Second Unit
I've even comboed the whole level (52x) and still didn't have enough points to beat it. Finally I decided to play it raw, just hitting as many ubers and multipliers as possible, and finally beat it. Maybe I don't understand the combo system, but I figure if the last move of the combo is in the mid 10k's, I should have no problem getting a huge score...

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
Once you have level two uber, the best way to get points (that I've found) is to 1) Hold the uber for as long as possible, rather than doing multiple ubers - this gets you a "long grab" bonus of ~4000 points. 2) It seems stupid, but move the left thumbstick or d-pad in a constant clockwise or counter-clockwise movement - this gets you "late flip", "stall", "invert" for extra bonus points.

And multipliers help, obviously.

Roger_C

Stunt Coordinator
I had problems as well. For me it was all about the multipliers. Hit a 10X doing an uber and it will help a lot. If I recall correctly there a 3 of these that are pretty easy to hit. Nail a 5,000 to 10,000 point uber and hit the 10x and you've got a 50,000 to 100,000 point trick.

Noah Gottula

Stunt Coordinator
I found this and thought it would be helpful for some of you. You can find the whole FAQ at:

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/ssx_3_a.txt

The combo system may seem simple, but the scoring system behind it is actually
very complex. To explain, we got an explanation straight from EA Big itself,
in the form of SSX programmer Cody Ritchie:

"When you do a trick, you points immediately get counted and add to your
score. If you're doing a combo, a portion of the trick's score goes
into the combo score, or 'pool'. The higher your combo is, the higher the
portion that goes into the pool. So when the combo is low, only a small
part of your trick goes into the pool, and when the combo gets higher &
higher, a lot more of the trick goes into the pool. It even goes above just a
portion, so that double your trick goes into the combo! So the least
you get is trick x1.5 (trick score + half trick score) and as high as trick
x 3 (trick score + 2x trick in combo score.) So if you do a huge monster
trick worth 50,000 and your combo is high, then it would give you 0k into
your score right away, and add 100k into the combo score. If you finish the
combo (or cross the finish line) then the entire combo score gets added
to the real score and that's your total. If you wipe out at any time, you
always keep your regular score, but lose the entire combo pool.

Now, as far as multipliers are concerned, they DON'T affect the trick
combo score, just the regular score. So if you bust a huge 50,000 point
trick through a 10x multiplier, and your combo score is high, you get 500,000
into the score (trick x10 mult) and the BASE trick x2 into the combo
(100,000), for a total of 600,000 (if you land the combo)

Some hints for high scores would be:

* Do big scoring tricks after the combo is high, or you're missing out
on points (you'll only get 1.5x instead of 3x, half as much!)

* On big airs, it's more worth it to hold a single uber the entire
time, than doing several in a row. The points accumulate faster for
holding than when switching, plus you can get a long grab bonus.
If you're trying to fill the uber meter, then do several small
ones to get to the bigger scoring tricks.

* Monster tricks are great for smaller jumps: it takes quite a big jump
to do a 50k uber trick, but some monster tricks are quick and can be
landed off a short jump. They can be tricky to pull off in a pinch though,
find simple ones."

Thanks Cody! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks