SR-9200 vs SR-14EX ...and SR-8200

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Al Roeth, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Al Roeth

Al Roeth Agent

Hi,

I've got a Marantx SR-8200 now, and really like it quite a bit. However, I've noted some really good deals on used SR-9200 receivers lately and was thinking about making the upgrade.

I am very familiar with the features of both the 8200 and 9200 respectively, but what I'm particularly interested in is whether anyone has done any extended A/B listening/comparison between the two, especially in 2-channel stereo for audio-only. If so, I love to hear comments on whether there is any significant audible difference(or other) to justify the mere "trouble" to upgrade from my 8200 to the 9200.

As I'm not to worried about a few more Watts per channel, or other whiz-bang features, my questions are really about any noticeable sonic advantage the 9200 offers... or maybe some technical/convenience advantage the 9200 has that I've just missed as compared to the 8200, such as maybe HDCD.

But also, as an aside... since the 9200 came out, Marantz has not released any "reference" receivers since the SR-14EX a couple years back. Obviously the 9200 has some new modes, and features, but an SR-14EX can be had now-a-days for about the same as a used 9200....

I have no way to audition an SR-14EX, so I was wondering that even though the SR-14EX is built "better" than the 9200, they weren't too far apart as far as their retail price, and performance specs and build-quality seem similar... with the 9200, while not their "reference line" seemingly being the top of the hill of Marantz's receivers.

So, for those with experience with the 9200 and SR-14EX, if you had a choice between the two at about the same price, what are your thoughts? Which would you choose and why? If there's not a significantly noticeable difference in audio quality, it seems that the 9200 would be the better deal.

I'm somewhat concerned that the SR-14EX doesn't do DTS-ES apparently, and only had 5 channels of amplification.

thx=)
    al

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    the SR19, SR18 and SR14 were all 5.1 only, and are not capable of DTS-ES decoding, AFAIK. I'm not sure there really is an equivalent of the SR-14 anymore, but the 8200 and 9200 seem to match up fairly well with the 19 and 18.

I have not compared the 9200 to the 8200 directly, but I wouldn't expect a huge difference between them soundwise.

I would probably wait to see if Marantz announces the release of an 8300 and 9300.

3. Ben Rogers

Ben Rogers Stunt Coordinator

Al

Its up to you. If you don't need DTS ES discreet then I would go with the SR-14. It is a reference receiver. I have the SR-18 and and always drooling for the 14. The 14 looks better than the 9200. My room is small and I don't have enough space for the rear center so THX 6.1 or DTS ES discreet or 6.1 is needless for me so SR-14 is the best receiver to get.

4. Al Roeth

Al Roeth Agent

Thanks, in particular, I would be curious if anyone has compared the SR-8200 or SR-9200 to the SR-14EX for stereo playback quality??
    Honestly I think my 8200 is sufficient for Home Theater in my modest living-room, but I am pretty darned picky when it comes to stereo audio... pickier than HT... but I can't afford to have two separate systems for stereo and HT. So I'd like to get darned-good HT(which I get with the 8200) and really good stereo audio playback.... the best for my money. That's where I'm waffling.
    So, the 8200 does sound great in stereo, but since the prices on both the SR-9200 and SR-14EX have come down drastically, I was wondering if anyone has auditioned them in stereo and compared them to the 8200? Does the 9200, and especially the 14EX deliver another $500-800 improvement in sound quality, or is the 8200 pretty close?? If the 8200 is about the same, I'll spend that money on a better "front end" CD/SACD and turntable.
    ...so, upgrade to an SR-9200 or SA14-EX *or* spend the money on something like an SA-8260 and upgrade my P25 to a Michell Gyro..etc...
    That's the budgetary dilemma I'm trying to solve, one or the other... can't do both front-end and receiver, so I have to choose =)
    So any experience auditioning the 8200 against the 9200, and especially the 14EX is greatly appreciated.
    thx!
    al
    [email protected]