1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

SR 6200 bass management questions.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris PC, Sep 7, 2001.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Bought and hooked up the Marantz SR 6200 last night. So far as I could tell from a brief listen, the best sounding setting was FRONT=LARGE with SUB=YES. I wanted to like the internal crossover of 100 hz but I am not sure if that's going to be the case.
    I have some Questions about bass management. I want to make sure I understand bass management fully with this receiver.
    The following deal with an analog CD source and only 2 front stereo speakers.
    I understand when you set FRONT=SMALL and SUB=YES the receiver uses a crossover (100hz?) to divide the signal between the subwoofer and the front speakers.
    What happens when you set FRONT=LARGE and SUB=YES? A full range signal is sent to the front speakers, but what signal is sent to the subwoofer? If it is crossed-over, then I am stuck with that crossover setting regardless, since using a separate outboard crossover is not advisable.
    So does anybody know the answer to this?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I have had my 6200 for a few months, and I have been going back and fort between large/small ever since. Like you, I found that I like large all around the best so far. I am not sure where it crosses over the sub with the fronts set to large either, but It seems to be somewhere between 80 and 100Hz. I haven't nailed it down yet, but I can tell that at some point it doesn't seem to make a difference anymore when raising the sub's x-over.
    Music sounds better with the speakers set to large, but movies sound a little more potent with them set to small.
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
    to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)

3. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Does the subwoofer output contain a 100 hz xover filter, regardless of how you set your front speakers? Why I ask is, ideally, I want a full range signal going to the subwoofer, say at least flat up to 200 hz, so I can choose the subwoofer xover on the subwoofer and trim it to whatever I want. I find that below 80 is best. I experiment. 50hz, 60 hz or so, 70 or 80 hz.
    If you set FRONT=SMALL and SUB=YES then the receiver uses a crossover to CUT BELOW 100 hz from the front speakers and it CUTS ABOVE 100 hz from the subwoofer output.
    However, what I want to know is, when you set your FRONT=LARGE and SUB=YES, does the receiver still crossover at 100 hz, cutting above 100 hz from the subwoofer? If it does, and I want to use my subwoofers crossover of between 50-100 hz, I am cascading crossovers, and that is not good. I get 2 crossovers and that shouldn't work, too much roll-off, especially with my subwoofers 24 dB per octave crossover.

4. Shade Watson

Shade Watson Stunt Coordinator

Chris,
    I would GUESS that when you set FRONT=LARGE and SUB=YES, that the fronts are not crossed over at all. For two channel music, I would expect only the front speakers to play.
    I would guess that the sub would play the LFE effects on 5.1 channel sources and the low bass from your center channel and surrounds if you have any of them set to small.

5. John Garcia

John
    With Sub=yes, the LFE track is always sent to the sub and will play up to whatever range is encoded for a given recording.
    Honestly, I don't know where the x-over is with the mains set to large and playback is in stereo, or if it is happening at all. It does seem that the receiver is still cutting the frequencies sent to the sub, though I am not sure at what point. (by ear, I don't know for sure).
    My mains roll off completely at 55Hz, so I give the sub some overlap (around 70-80Hz) and this seems to work quite well.
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
    to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)

6. Vince Chan

Vince Chan Stunt Coordinator

I do not own a 6200 myself (yet) but I know that by default when u set the front=large, no signal from the mains are sent to the sub. HOWEVER, there should be a setting somewhere that you can set to have full range sent to the mains AND have all

7. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Not sure what this means "when u set the front=large, no signal from the mains are sent to the sub"
    When I set FRONT=LARGE and SUB=YES, I get full range from the front AND full BASS from the subwoofer, which i have connected to the subwoofer pre-out. What I don't know, is whether the bass output has gone through any crossover. I don't think its critical though, since my subwoofer has a crossover, it would only make the subwoofer crossover steeper. Above the subwoofer crossover, the fronts should be flat across the full range (well above the front speakers - 3dB point) so the steeper the subwoofer rolls off the better. At least it seems that way to me. I know others have mentioned that cascading crossovers is not a good idea.
    I am playing around with the setup. I also tried connecting the SUBWOOFER via FRONT=LARGE and SUB=NO and I run the front left and right preouts into the subwoofer but it doesn't seem as loud, it doesn't sound as good and I can't dicretely control the "subwoofer" volume without walking over to the sub because the receiver has no sub adjustment when you set SUB=NO, which of course, makes sense.
    [Edited last by Chris PC on September 07, 2001 at 08:30 PM]
    [Edited last by Chris PC on September 07, 2001 at 08:33 PM]

8. Eric V

Eric V Auditioning

Chris,
    Congrats on your new purchase. I think the best way to find out if your SUB-OUT is filtered in any way, is to connect a full range speaker in the SUB-OUT connector. Using an outboard amplifier, play a few tracks of your favorite CD and listen at low volume.
    Now, do you hear full range sound or just the lower octaves of the track.
    Alternatively, If you don't have any spare amplifier, you can propably just use headphones or your Computer Speakers, with the proper headphone plug to RCA plug converter. Just don't crank the volume so high.
    This will surely give you an idea of what type of signal are coming out of your SUB-OUT connector.
    Let us know if this works, ok?
    If you don't mind, what do you think of the Marantz SR6200? It is included on my short lists of potential AV receivers and would like to hear your, sort of, review about the receiver.
    Thanks
    [Edited last by Eric V on September 07, 2001 at 10:52 PM]
    [Edited last by Eric V on September 07, 2001 at 10:55 PM]

9. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

So far the SR 6200 is proving to be good. I am demoing it with my Boston Acoustics 2 ways which are somewhat blown! Yikes. The sound is still good. I should lay off until I bring home the PSB's I'm going to demo today and tomorrow. That'll sound best of course.
    I have never had a remote like this and it seems pretty good. The remote is something people complain about because its not one of the best ones, and its not backlit (my biggest concern). I have never owned a remote that allows me to be able to control everything, my CD, DVD, LD and TV from the same remote. I'm not sure about how to program the 1,2,3,4,5 of the CD and DVD carousel because I don't want to use the numbers, they should be left for the tracks. The remote learns things flawlessly and very fast. The only other problem is the angle of effectiveness of the remote. My old Sony CD player had lots of lee-way, could point it at the CD player often at an extreme angle, bounce it off side and back walls. Not so with the SR 6200 remote. It is picky. You have to pretty well point it right at the receiver. That sucks but I can live with it.
    I don't need to plug in any other speakers, but perhaps I'll try that. I can hear higher frequencies coming out of my subwoofer if I bypass the internal crossover and the signal does in fact have higher frequencies, and I'm talking higher midrange freq.

10. John Garcia

John
    I picked up a Marantz RC2000 to replace the remote that came with the 6200. The one that it comes with did learn quite easily, but lacked some features I wanted, and the layout of the buttons is less than optimal. Backlit wouldn't matter if the buttons could be differentiated by touch. The 2000 has backlighting and macro capability. There is also the RC1200, which comes with the 7200, for around $150, but it does not have macros and is also not backlit.