What's new

Squeezing better resolution out of a 42" plasma display (1 Viewer)

Maury Alamin

Auditioning
Please accept my apologies up front as I am posting this across several forums.

I'm creating a DVD for a convention plasma display. The DVD contains a lot of text. I was testing the DVD on a plasma display at the office and alot of the text was breaking up and illegible. I figured that I needed to bump up and bold the text. I then played "Star Wars: Attack of the Clones" and "South Park: The Movie" and noticed a lot of the same fuzziness and text breaking up.

I came to the conclusion that we're not utilizing the full resolution of the plasma display. We're using a Fujitsu 42" display (PDS4203W-H) and a Sony DVD player connected with S-Video. The DVD player is set to 16:9 display.

Does anyone have any experience with conventions and plasma displays? I realize that I will probably have to adjust the type, but everything (graphics and pictures) looks fuzzy.

Any suggestions???

Thanks for any help.
Maury Alamin

David Abrams

Stunt Coordinator
Maury,

First off hook the DVD Player up via component video! The DVD Format uses MPEG compression (Motion Picture Experts Group). This form of compression works with component digital video. Now, if you are running S-Video out of the player you are taking a severe hit to the chroma frequency response (resolution) of the image.

Also, the internal scalar on the Fujitsu may not be quite that good which could also be causing a greater resolution loss on the screen. You may want to use a laptop and set the laptop up to output the native resolution of the display then just play your DVD Program through the laptop which may help you out.

Regards,

sueBang

Auditioning
Real Name
SusanAStuart
Funny finding you here - your question is interesting. I was just trying to find some info for the male hall and found an expert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks