What's new

Square subs. What to get for <$500? (1 Viewer)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I really would love to hear from someone who has listened to the Dharman, the SVS, and the Hsu.
I've not heard from anyone who's done that, although Max and Mike from HTT each had 20-39's(?) and Dharmans in their setups, so a search over there might turn up something.

There's a Dharman review from Tom Nousaine in the works, and I believe there might be some objective data in a few weeks.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Jack,
This $350 kit - this will require no woodworking skills at all? Zero? Zip? Nada? :)
I'm pretty interested in DIY, and I have a preamp kit on order, but so far I've shied away from speaker related stuff because of only one thing, wood. I have no skills or tools in this department, and it's not a hobby I'm interested in getting into. So, that rules out honing my skills building speaker cabinets until I learn how to do it right.
Anyway, I can solder, and stick/screw things together and I may even be able to stain/varnish cabinets, but that's the extent of my skills in that department. So, is this kit something that I could do, or would it require more skills than that?
Thanks,
Saurav

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Saurav,
That looks like the kit for you. :) No woodworking needed, just mounting the components. That review details the process. Since you can solder, you'd have no problem customizing the bass boost in the amp to achieve any frequency response you'd like. Check this out for details.

Christian Speights

Stunt Coordinator
Any thought to a used sub? I would think it would be possible to find a used Sunfire True Sub Jr. with the upped $600 budget.

The size (primary benefit of the Sunfires in my opinion) would be far less obtrusive than most so the acceptance factor would be high. It's not a HUGE room so I wouldn't imagine performance would suffer all that much. Plus it can be corner loaded.

I imagine Tom V. would have something concrete to say about the performance numbers. I am running the Mk II and, although it farts at the higher frequencies, it does ok down low. Plus I dont have to use it as a coffee table. I imagine the Jr. would post numbers slightly off from it's older siblings.

It's about as small a square as you can get. I checked audiogon and they didnt have anything listed in that price range, but there may be something out there.

Just a thought. What speakers is your friend using?

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Well, looks like he's getting the Rava. The price plus the reputation of the Rava in music sparked his decision. I tried to talk him into buying a sealed sub from Kyle but my buddy wouldn't budge. Oh well, I'm sure he'll be happy.

Although the Sunfire's are great subs, going used was completely out of the question for him. He wouldn't even consider it.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Jack,
Thanks, I read the review after posting my question. It looks fairly straightforward except for some of the holes not being pre-drilled, but I think I can handle that - I have a ruler and a pencil :)
Next question: this kit is about the price of a used VTF-2, maybe even a used Rava (I'm not sure about that). How does it compare? I know the best bang-for-the-buck in this price range is considered to be an SVS with an external amp, but I don't think my living room is ready for something that big, plus it might be a little bit of overkill since this is for a music-only application, plus there aren't too many used SVS's on the market :)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I know the best bang-for-the-buck in this price range is considered to be an SVS with an external amp, but I don't think my living room is ready for something that big, plus it might be a little bit of overkill since this is for a music-only application,
The concept of "overkill" is a foreign one to me. :) You can never have too much headroom or extension. I see your point, though, you have to decide what you'll ever actually use.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I see your point, though, you have to decide what you'll ever actually use.
That's kind of what I meant. And you're right, I doubt I need much quantity down in the low 20's or below, because very little of my source material would ever go down there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks