What's new

Square subs. What to get for <$500? (1 Viewer)

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
That's easy...the older NHT passive subs are basically nice cubes. I have two, and they double as nice end tables. My sycamore sub is so nice looking that people are always in shock this it is a sub :)
And you can find these sw3p's for under $300 used. The other option is the passive citation 7.4 or 5.4 subs. Just get a $150-200 monoblock with auto-turn-on or DC trigger to drive it (ie, Parasound, AudioSource, etc).
Link Removed
Link Removed

Peter Jessee

Stunt Coordinator
With all due respect to Tom, I have to say that the $400 Adire Rava is an excellent performer. I don't know if it's been reviewed in a magazine yet, but it is tight and has tons of output into the low-to-mid-20Hz range in room.

My cousin has a VTF-2, I have a Rava, and I wouldn't trade him, even with the $100 difference in list price. If SAF is a factor, the Rava is slightly larger (usually bad from a SAF viewpoint), but it's real oak veneer makes it look like a nice piece of furniture, rather than a painted black box.

These are certainly two excellent subs, but there are other internet brands (Edge Audio, for instance) that you should also investigate. The two I have experience with will match or beat the $800 retail subs from NHT, Paradigm, Velodyne or Energy, and cream any of the other brands I've heard, like Klipsh, Yamaha, Cerwin Vega, Definitive Tech, etc.

Peter

Martice

Screenwriter
Before you buy and settle on what a particular company offers you for the money, go to acoustic-visons.com. They custom build subwoofers to your specifications and your budget and for $500.00, you can get a sub that is of better quality regarding build and performance. The company speciallizes in sonotube designs as well as square designs and use such high quality parts such as Dayton, Adire Audio, Dayton Titanic or whatever driver you want to put into your custom cabinet.

I just received my sub after months of looking to replace my old passive subs and I couldn't be happier. I really wanted to take the chance on SVS but the wife wasn't having it which left me to look for other options and for the money, I couldn't justify paying $500.00 for a 10" sub when I could have a 12" sub that is tuned to 21hz for the same if not a little less. I will be giving a full review of my sub and the offerings of acoustic-visions.com once I finish calibrating it.

Check them out at acoustic-visions.com

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Tom V - What about the Dharmans?

Martice - Can't wait to hear your impressions. I may give them a ring soon.

Best, sam

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I have never heard the HSU (Tom?) but I believe Tom has based his opinion on some published specs, which of course are only part of the story in my opinion.

I OWN the Rava. It is a good tight sub. I think it will do a fine job in a small room. I wouldnt count on it to blow your hairpiece off in a large room. It is a sealed unit and is exceptional for music. The finish on it is extraoridinary and the size makes it especially spouse friendly. The price is just icing on the cake.

As I said, I have not heard the HSU, it may well be the Rava's equal in all areas. All I do know it that I use the Rava daily and I am not displeased with it. In fact, I would buy it again.

Mike

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i did alot of research on this a few months ago and had my mouse on the 'buy' button for a Hsu VTF-2 when an SVS 25-31PC b-stock came in...

if you dont want to go for a 25-31CS + cheap 1-channel amp, then the Hsu VTF-2 is the way to go IMO.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
I tend to base suggestions on published performance data. The adire stuff looks to use quality components so they likely offer a good bang/buck ratio.

Mike sez,

>>>I have never heard the HSU (Tom?) but I believe Tom has based his opinion on some published specs, which of course are only part of the story in my opinion.

Martice

Screenwriter
Tom are you saying that the 2531cs with the Parts Express 250 watt plate amp (bass boost defeated)costing $505.00 is still no contest in comparison to the HSU VTF-2?

Martice

Screenwriter
Hi Jack. I would like to thank you for all of your helpful posts in the DIY section. It is your DIY sub that led me to acoustic-visions.com and Kyle Richardson. I received my 70 litre Dayton DVC12" ported sub yesterday and my intitial findings without calibration is WOW! The bass is deep and clean and not at all sloppy. I still watch out for your posts as well as Tom & Ron's over at SVS because eventually I would like to build my own sub. However, right now I truely have my hands full with this monster. I will write a review right after Thanksgiving.

Thanks again.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
You're very welcome, Martice, that sounds like a killer sub you've got there. It sounds like it's a completed sub, and not a kit (?). I didn't see any details on Kyle's site, but if you give some , that might be a contender.

Martice

Screenwriter
Total cost including full assembly was $435.00. You can see the sub in it's early stages on acoustic-visions site in the products menu. I believe you can enlarge the photos as well. I don't want to claim that my sub is better than this sub or that sub but I will say that for the money it'll be tough to justify spending more money to get less.
Here's a link on the site that shows my particular sub in it's early stages for those concerned with construction quality. While you're there, check out the showcase menu as well.
Link Removed

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Thanks for all the responses! Much appreciated!

Ok, so the VTF-2 seems the best way to go for >$500.

BTW, today I did coax a little more $$$ out of him and I think he could go to $600... would the Dharman be that much better than the VTF-2?

Also Tom, on a side note, how would the Adire Dharman stack against the 25-31PC or even the 20-39PC? Just curious.

Martice

Screenwriter
I think the Dharman is in another league when compared to the HSU VTF. Some are comparing the Dharman to the SVS 2039 sub. If you're friend wants really deep bass in a square cabinet for that price you can get the Dharman or go to acoustic-visons.com and save a little more and get a custom sub using the same Adire Audio Shiva driver to fit his size, color as well as performance requirements.

Good Luck

MichaelO

Stunt Coordinator
I'll give you my two cents worth (that's probably all it's worth anyway).

I own the HSU VTF-2 and have for a year. I couldn't be more pleased, the thing puts out some of the deepest - tightest bass I have ever heard from a sub (I, however, haven't heard the Dharman or an SVS). If the Dharman out performs the HSU then I would be extrememly impressed, as the HSU not only impresses me but everyone else who comes to watch a movie or listen to music in my 18' X 18' room. I have compared it to the Velodyne CT-120 & CT-150, Def Tech PF 15TL, Klipsch KSW-12 and the B&W asw-1000 & asw-2000. So far none of those subs out perform my $425 HSU.

Anyway, I thought I would give you another opinion...either way it sounds like you are on the right path.

Adil M

Supporting Actor
As long as your comparing, why not compare the Dharman to the Rava (cheaper). The Rava is supposedly more musical. Dharmans are on sale and if you go through Hometheatertalk you get 5% off. That's a heads up for those considering. I have asked Tom about the Dharman's and he said he really couldn't say b/c it had no official posted specs, but it looked like a good product. I really would love to hear from someone who has listened to the Dharman, the SVS, and the Hsu. Specs are just the first step to ranking equipment. I am guessing any of these subs would be excellent. The SVS appears to edge out the HSU, but I'm not sure about it and the Dharman or Rava. Mike Knapp owns the Rava and considering the rest of his DIY equipment I'm guessing he wouldn't keep any crap. Although he might have gotten an admiinistrative discount... ;).
For those wondering what the hell the Dharman and Rava are got to www.adireaudio.com . Not affiiliated.. blah..blah

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks