Square room, TV in corner

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Oren, Aug 23, 2003.

1. Oren

Oren Stunt Coordinator

Suppose I have a square living room. One wall is the sofa, one is the fireplace, one is glass, and one is open. Given that, I think I'll put the tv in the corner with the left and right speakers a few feet to the side on the adjacent walls. But what about the surround speakers? Should I put them in the side corners? Or further back towards the corner opposite the tv?

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Oren,

Corner TV placement is fine for ordinary TV viewing, but it is totally unworkable for home theater, IMO. I’ve never seen it work because optimal speaker placement is virtually impossible. You always end up with the front speakers way too close together, and rear placement is always a big problem – as you’ve already figured out – because either they’re way too far apart (at the two side corners), or they’re way too close together (towards the rear corner. Not to mention, in order to be properly aimed at the listening area the rears require 45-degree wall mounting – always a challenge and a major obstacle.

The way I see it, Oren you have two choices: Figure out a way set everything up in a traditional and functional fashion – i.e., centered on a wall - or if not, be prepared to live with highly unsatisfactory compromises.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Perhaps not Wayne. Consider the following link (an adobe pdf) written by Floyd Toole. Scroll down to page 9 where an arrangement much like that of the poster is seen. Toole writes

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Wow, Chu, it always amazes me the stuff you can come up with! [​IMG]

Well, it’s hard to argue with the likes of Mr. Toole! Being the professional that he is, he knows how to get the most from this arrangement. But there are often some real-world problems with corner set-ups that he overlooked.

First, far too often the room is not square, but rectangular. When this is the case, you always end up with one rear speaker being way further away than the other.

Second, usually when people embark on a corner arrangement they don’t follow through with proper furniture placement like Mr. Toole did. They don’t (or can’t, or won’t) arrange the furniture diagonally so that it faces the screen.

Oren, if you’re still tracking this thread, arranging your room like Mr. Toole did in his example should give you satisfactory results (since you did indicate your room is square, not rectangular).

It sure would have been nice if Mr. Toole had told us how he got those rear speakers properly aimed towards the listening position!

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I figure if Floyd can find a way to skin the cat, then maybe we can also. At the very least it gives us hope and some basic ideas that we can play with instead of throwing our hand up in the air. I think between the various papers I've seen from Floyd, and those at Dolby, that there's a pretty fair amount of information to not only guide people as to the 'type' of speaker but also placement. I've got an assortment of links if you're interested Wayne.

6. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

That's exactly what my setup looks like. From what I've read (before Chu's post), bad in theory. However, in practice, the sound is actually pretty good.

7. LarrySkelly

LarrySkelly Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Chu. Great post! I see that others are in the same boat as I. I have a room in the same configuration, about 26' x 25'. The position of windows and fireplace (and wife [​IMG] necessitates putting the TV in the corner. I've positioned the rear speakers part way along the rear two walls and the sound is good.

My only problem is that my front speakers are Martin-Logans that radiate half of their sound out the back. Because they are in the corner, on either side of the TV, the sound from each front speaker bounces off the wall behind it, across to the wall behind the other front speaker, and back out the front. As a result the imaging is not as good as it should be.

A possible solution is to place a panel behind each front speaker. One option that I plan to try this winter is to use a bi-fold louvered door behind each speaker, buy a two-section louvered door, hinged in the middle, say 36" wide total, paint it the wall colour, and place behind each front speaker to reflect the sound out.

And when we eventually build a wall unit in that corner, to house the TV and extend along the two front walls, I'm hoping to build an adjustable, reflective panel into it.

8. Oren

Oren Stunt Coordinator

Still tracking...thanks for the info. Putting the sofa diagonally isn't really an option in my case, but I'll play with it. Thanks.

9. LarrySkelly

LarrySkelly Stunt Coordinator

I didn't want to put the sofa diagonally either, put two of them in an L shape, facing the two front walls.

10. Andrew Pierce

Andrew Pierce Stunt Coordinator

Andrew Pierce
    I've got a setup like that. The rears were problematic, until I upgraded to 7.1.

I've got the side surrounds on the outer ends of the couch firing inwards roughly towards the center of the opposite couch and the rear surrounds behind the inside corners of the couches facing forward.

The extra speakers really help smooth things out around the room. The surround field is fantastic in the inner two seating positions and suprisingly acceptable on the two 'fringe' spots. In fact I think it's better now than when I had a more traditional tv-centered-in-on the-wall 5.1 setup.

I still have an issue with the front speakers being two close together but I'm working on it.

I would definately try to avoid using dipole speakers in the front, but given a choice between those dipole Martin Logans and my lowly Polks... I'd live with the dipoles. [​IMG]

11. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I think that's a great idea Larry although I'm not too sure if the louvered door is going to provide sufficient diffusion. Certainly if you've got a couple laying around you could give it a try now. You just might need to build one of those absorption panels. Laying around somewhere I've got some links, that if they still work, had construction approaches with pictures. Usually you see people build those using some sort of rough, burlap type cloth covering the insulation. That's pretty low on the WAF though. I think though that they coul probably be further covered up using some sort of artsy looking cloth that the other half likes. Martha Stewart would've gotten more sympathy from the men had she done some HT projects. It'll be a testament to your creativity to get the ML's to work in that set-up.

12. lama1980

lama1980 Auditioning

Peter
    Very good idea.