What's new

Square is developing for Nintendo Again! (1 Viewer)

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
i *own* ps2 and gamecube. woohooooo...one more reason not to get xbox
You know thats quite funny coming from you as I see you just started a lovely thread on how you hate Japanese RPG's. I can't quite understand your enthusiasm for this particular announcement if that is so. Which is it?

{edited out comment as its not worth the time and effort}

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
As for FFX...
I've hated every single Final Fantasy game. There is a contingency of us that are older and had the pleasure of playing Ultima Games, and Might and Magic games on the PC, games in which you have the freedom of movement, and you aren't bogged down by cutscenes. I hate Final Fantasy and I will NEVER buy one of the games because they are the OPPOSITE of role playing. THey are more like watching a (bad) movie.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If you really gave the game a lot of time and still didn't like it, then I find nothing wrong with your opinion of the game. But if you played it for like 5 hours or were just really slow and bad at it and then developed a negative opinion, I would question it.

Nonetheless, if you don't like it, thats your opinion and I must accept it.

I've hated every single Final Fantasy game. There is a contingency of us that are older and had the pleasure of playing Ultima Games, and Might and Magic games on the PC, games in which you have the freedom of movement, and you aren't bogged down by cutscenes. I hate Final Fantasy and I will NEVER buy one of the games because they are the OPPOSITE of role playing. THey are more like watching a (bad) movie.
How many have you played? If you hated one, why buy the next?

The PC RPG games you listed are very different from console RPGs. Console RPGs have you as a character following a story, whereas PC RPGs have you as a character that you create running around doing stuff. Console RPGs are based on storylines, and for the FF games the stories are usually pretty good. They might not be the literal definition of Role-Playing Games, but they are still good games, regardless of the amount of cutscenes.

And they are not like bad movies. The deep, involved storylines from the FF games are very good. If you play one of them (which I doubt you have) then you would see how good they are. But given your preconceived thoughts of how horrible they are, you probably wouldn't be able to like it.

Brad Grenz

Second Unit
Too much focus on cut scenes and cinematics and not enough gameplay. (this of course my opinion only). I buy games to play them, not watch them. The sad part is that I hear Xenosaga for the PS2 is falling to the same fate (Xenogears is my all time favorite console RPG).
Funny thing is that it almost seems like Monolith Soft really wants to be making a 40 hour movie. :) But I don't care, the game's looking amazing.

paul h

Supporting Actor
Each to their own, whether you like FF or not the sales figures for these games in Japan are always impressive...a FF game can be nothing but good news for the Gamecube.

I spent many hours playing FF7 then got bored, as for FFX i'll give it a go when it's released over here and see...but then i'm not a huge fan of the genre anyway.

I cant see why KOTOR would dramatically increase sales of the XBox in Japan. MS are in for a long and hard battle over there but then i'm sure they were well aware of that anyway, they've already got most of the big name developers on board and with decent sales in the US under their belt i can see the XBox staying around for a long time.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I was just reading something interesting on a website. The person who wrote the article I was reading said something along the lines of "while the FF series has become a LOT more cinematic via CG cutscenes with amazing quality, it has reduced the gameplay a lot, but if CGs can offer a better look into the storyline of a game and allow gamers to feel more emotions for more realistic looking characters, then its worth the tradeoff." And I have to say I wholeheartedly agree.

The old FF games had deep, complex stories, and a lot of dialogue, but now that those scenes of dialogue and cheesy animations is replaced with CGs of amazing quality, people complain. FF games have always been somewhat linear for the majority of the game, then opening up to a bunch of sidequests later on.

Also, KotR or KotOR (whichever it is) is a real-time RPG, much more PC like. Last I knew, those weren't as popular in Japan as in America. They won't buy an X-Box for one game that they MIGHT like.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Actually, Dave, I don't think thay have to make a game for the Advance. If I am understanding correctly, you can link the Cube and the Advance on Sonic Adventure Battle 2 without a special cartidge for the Advance. However, it behooves one to have the Advance game to truly unlock certain elements of the game. Otherwise, you're using it very much like the VMU "minigames" the Dreamcast had. I may be wrong, however. I haven't done as much homework, as some of my more knowledgable colleagues here.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Actually, the GameCube can put a game on the GBA for temporary play, but it has to be stored in the temp memory and will be erased if the GBA is turned off.

Rusty Ray

Second Unit
but it could, i assume, send the save file back to the gc mem card and reload it with the game.. my only problem with rpgs is that i am older now and i really dont have the time to invest in them anymore.. when i was younger i could sit infront of final fantasy for hours but now i cant since i have a job, wife, etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks