square Eyes

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee_eel, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Lee_eel

Lee_eel Second Unit

It has occured to me that some forum members must sit about two inches from their tv screen. I am referring to people who moan about the odd bit of grain or occasional edge enhancement. I know some discs have too much EE (Phantom Menace springs to mind) but some people seem to pick up on it even if it is on screen for a few seconds or whatever.
    I have even read posts that complained about discs like Gladiator not being reference quality. Absolute rubbish! This disc looks awesome on whatever size display. I think dvd is a blessing for home cinema enthusiasts and should be celebrated, and treated with respect. If film companies think along the same lines then dvd is set for a long stay at the top!

2. Kai Zas

Kai Zas Second Unit

Altough I do value the technical expertise at this forum, I usually won't hold off buying something based on "grain" or other artefacts which I for one never see. I should, I watch all my movies up close on a 22" computer monitor, giving me the entire resolution without so much as a scanline.Most of the time I just get too caught up by the story and the feelings to analyze every other frame. I'm a person who has to watch an entire movie. I can't do the chapter surfing either.
    It kind of scares me sometimes when people can exactly remember how something sounded in the theater and how it's different at home. I've tried to realy pay attention to the details once (Epsiode 2), but I just got sucked in by the entire experience and forgot about it. Even when I see a movie a second or third time. Don't these people ever wory the magic of movies will be lost on them?
    I did however (almost) stop buying PAL discs (I live in Region 2) because of the pal-speedup. I NEVER noticed it before, but the HTF has pointed it out to me and now it drives me nuts! (Okay, I will tollerate Sarah Michelle Gellar's higher pitched voice in Buffy because I just can't wait for the US releases, but that's about it.) Considering the fact that the R2 TNG boxes are WAY cooler, my friends think I'm crazy for having them deliverd from Canada by DHL.
    But I love you all the same [​IMG]