Spyware is slowly stealing my sanity

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jon_Are, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

I use two PCs, and each is becoming infested daily with spyware; it's becoming a part-time job just trying to rid my systems of this crap.

Here's what's new just today:
    On one system, when I click on a link, I am often taken to "enhancemysearch.com". I can't go anywhere from there.

The other is even worse: Upon opening IE, I'm taken to "ads234.com", and I cannot go ANYWHERE else, no matter what I do.

I run Ad-Aware and Spybot at least daily, sometimes 2-3 times a day, and they are always picking up new stuff (though not solving the above problems).

I've been reading stuff about Mozilla, and have always had it in the back of my mind. I think that's the route I'm going.

Here's my question: what events must take place in order for spyware to infiltrate my system? Would just visiting a site - and nothing more - do it in some cases? Is it always necessary to download something for spyware to appear? Or does just opening a window do it?

Thanks,

Jon

2. Kris McLaughlin

Kris McLaughlin Stunt Coordinator

Jon,
    This thread might be useful to you. Short but sweet. [​IMG]

3. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

OK, it is now, like, 20 minutes after I submitted that first post.

I am posting this reply from within Firefox.

The download and installation were painless, and so far I am loving this.

I only regret not having done it sooner.

Jon

4. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

Yes! Another soul is saved.
    Welcome to the light my friend.

5. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

wewt, welcome to the darkside bro [​IMG] Firefox is very customizeable too, check out some of the extensions for it they add alot of functionality.

6. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

You might want to try downloading the latest versions of Ad-Aware and Spybot. I know Ad-Aware doesn't really update the core and definitions between X.y versions very well. I've had to download a new version every couple of months.

7. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

I use Ad-aware and Spybot but recently just found giantantispyware.

It found stuff that Ad-aware and Spybot kept missing, or couldn't get rid of. It has a one click restore if your browser gets hijacked and blocks it from getting hijacked again. Very good program. It keeps itself updated, and catches stuff on the fly without dragging down system resources. You will have to purchase it after 15 days though. But as a quick fix if you are already a victim, the download is worth it.

8. Bob_Chase

Bob_Chase Stunt Coordinator

Why even bother with all of that spyware nonsense? As Jon mentioned do yourself a favor and get yourself a copy of Firefox. All of your IE-related problems go bye-bye. The sooner you free yourself from the shackles of Microsoft, the happier you'll be. I've been using Firefox for 6 months now, with no pop-ups, pop-unders, or unwanted applications being downloaded to my computer. I'm also using a Mac which adds even more security. But I digress.

9. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al
    I use Firefox, but it's not a panacea. Some sites will not render properly and you'll need IE. This is mostly due to developers getting lazy since they really only had to work to one browser since MS put a stake through Netscape. For non-Mac/Linux users, one of those sites is MS's update page, a pretty important one. So whether you get Firefox or not, grab a good adware program and keep it up-to-date. (I recommend Spybot S&D.)

10. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

ive never had any issues with firefox rendering any websites,use the right plugins [​IMG] of course windows update page isnt gonna accept anything but IE MS is monopolized remember ;0

11. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    this didnt work for me. while the spyware programs (ad aware and spybot) did a good job of handling what spyware made it through, there is a great deal less spyware making it through with firefox. and the spyware that does make it onto my machine gets swiftly taken care of by ad aware and spybot.

CJ

12. Bob_Chase

Bob_Chase Stunt Coordinator

Al, you're absolutely right. It doesn't always work with the lazily developed sites. I still keep a copy of IE for just such occasions, but they are few and far between. The good news is more and more sites are adopting a "web standards" methodolgy (I'm a web designer/devloper by trade.) Sites built this way are faster, easier and cheaper to maintain and develop and browsers such as netscape/mozilla/firefox, safari & opera love web standards code.

13. Patrick_L

Patrick_L Second Unit

John, it sounds like you've still not gotten rid of your original problems but have just mostly stopped new ones from appearing. That's like putting a band-aid on a severed limb.

here is a good article written by a friend of mine about spyware removal.

It might be worth your time, if you haven't recently, to reinstall your OS fresh and use FF as your default browser from the get-go.

14. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

I've decided to download Firefox, and I look forward to using it as it has very favorable reviews, both here and elsewhere. It's hard to believe that it's less than a 5MB program, as it seems almost every program is substantially larger these days. I previously tried a different browser, but it seemed to be merely an add-on to Internet Explorer rather than a completely separate program. It worked OK, but I wasn't overly impressed with it. I look forward to trying Firefox (and perhaps Thunderbird too).

Steve K.

15. Patrick_L

Patrick_L Second Unit

Yeah, you'll definitely like FF. I was a diehard IE user up until 8 months ago, and i haven't looked back.

btw, the IE "add-on" that you mentioned... was it MYIE2 (Maxthon) by chance?

16. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Indeed, Firefox is a fine browser, and anything is safer than IE these days.

Personally, I prefer Opera to FF, but Opera does cost money to register if you want to avoid the ad banner. I just like the way it handles tabbed browsing, the speed, mouse gestures etc. Most of that can be approached/approximated with Firefox and some plugins but I still like Opera better, especially since Opera handles keyboard shortcuts so well and very speedily.

Definitely worth a trial run for people moving from IE, in addition to FF.

17. Jeremy K

Jeremy K Stunt Coordinator

As you probably know Adaware, and I think Spybot S&D too, only will scan for spyware and remove it, it won't keep it from being installed. Try Spyware Blaster, it doesn't have to always run so it doesn't slow down your PC, and it keeps spyware from installing itself in the first place.

javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

18. Will_B

Will_B Producer

I use and love Firefox myself, but doesn't it seem likely that spyware developers will simply start writing their spyware to suit Firefox next?

19. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Ad-Aware SE has 'Ad-Watch', which will filter out spyware before it gets loaded.

20. Jeremy K

Jeremy K Stunt Coordinator

Ok yeah, I use the free version, so that is what I was thinking of. Thanks for the clarification.[​IMG]