Spy museum in Washington DC

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Eric D Wong, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Eric D Wong

Eric D Wong Stunt Coordinator

I'm thinkign about making a day trip and going to DC with a friend who helped me get this new job I got sorta as a "thank you". Anyway, has anybody gone to this? Is it worth the trip? I'm from north eastern Maryland so it would take about 1-1.5 hours to get there. I checked out their website, I'd go to both the permanant and special exhibits although I'd really like to go for their "Spies Lies and Naked Thighs" program, although i might not be able to make it that day.

http://www.spymuseum.org

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I went on opening weekend (by accident) and it was great. I had to wait in line for almost 3 hours, but I think it was well worth it. That sort of stuff just interests me though. Had my fiancee been with me she would have probably been pretty bored. I enjoyed the spy museum more than any of the Smithsonian museums I've been to. I also took the Spy Tour which is a bus tour hosted by a former CIA agent and a former KGB agent. It was extremely entertaining albeit expensive. Many think this is a tourist trap type thing, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. The tour goes around DC, shows the different embassies, and they discuss different spy moments of the past 5 decades. It's pretty cool having people who were actually involved in these things giving the tour.

3. Eric D Wong

Sounds wonderful, I bet we will have a great time. Do you have any info on the Spybus tour? Im trying to google it but im not sure if I'm getting the right thing.

4. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I just did some searching and can't seem to find the exact tour I took. I went about 2-3 years ago so it may have changed hands. This website looks most like the information from the tour I took: http://spytrek.com/

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I kinda breezed through it, it's smaller than you think. I wish they had more gadgets and more real estate, but still a nice place to visit.

The FBI building has a cool tour too, with ex-agents answering questions and showing off weapons they use. Just went to the site and they say the tours are closed til 2005 though [​IMG]

As for your first question, a trip to DC is always worth it! Especially after only a 1.5 hour drive.

6. Eric D Wong

Hmmm... well last time I was in DC was exactly new years eve of 2002 going into 2003 when I bought my car. I think its time to pay another visit. See the World War 2 memorial too.

7. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton
    I checked out the Spy Museum not too long ago and was quite impressed. I found much of the information fascinating, and spent a lot more time that I would have thought going through the museum. I think the brochure says to allow a couple of hours, I think it took me almost 5 hours to get through it all, and towards the end I started skipping stuff because my legs were so sore.

It's really neat - definitely worth a trip! [​IMG]

-Jason

8. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Sort of makes you wonder what they have now deployed in the field if what they show at these museums are considered ok for public knowledge...