What's new

"Spy Kids": No Special Edition Material for DVD (1 Viewer)

Michael*K

Screenwriter
In a studio marketing move to perhaps boost its pathetic box office total from last weekend, Link Removed is reporting that any forthcoming home releases of the Robert Rodriguez film will not include the material included on the theatrically released special edition. Haven't seen the film, so I don't know if the new footage is significant.
------------------
--Mike
Amazon Hot 100 DVD's

Ben Silva

Stunt Coordinator
You won't be missing much. The only extra footage in this so-called "special edition" is one very short scene of very little consequence that wasn't even that good.
------------------
Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night. - All About Eve
He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people? - Touch of Evil
My DVD Collection

Kelly W

Second Unit
Isn't this one of those movies where a bare-bones DVD edition is being released, but a full-blown special edition will follow later?
Well, maybe it's just a rumor. Here's what I found at DVDFile.com:
Remember that Spy Kids special edition extended cut rumored to be in the works? Defying most conventional wisdom, Buena Vista has announced on the Spy Kids website that this extended cut, featuring scenes with newly-completed special effects and approved by director Robert Rodriquez, will get a limited theatrical re-release starting this Wednesday, August 8th in select markets. No word yet on when a DVD of this longer cut will surface, though the standard movie-only edition of the previous theatrical cut streets on 9/18. So if you're a really big Spy Kids fan, you may want to wait a bit before rushing out to spend your hard-earned cash on the movie only edition...
I thought I had read that there was something more definite, but maybe I was dreaming.
For the record, my wife and I (we don't have any kids) caught Spy Kids ("Special Edition") this past weekend and loved it.
-Kelly

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
So would there be a "Spy Kids: Special Edition: Special Edition"?
HAHA...that could be confusing.

HalS

Stunt Coordinator
In a studio marketing move to perhaps boost its pathetic box office total from last weekend
That could hardly be the reasoning behind the move, considering it was two weekends ago they re-released Spy Kids (actually on the 8th) and it has already lost most of the screens it had from the second release. In fact, the re-release itself was pretty much dead on arrival.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
So would there be a "Spy Kids: Special Edition: Special Edition"?
I've often considered this dilemma, considering two films that also had theatrical releases labeled "Special Editions": Close Encounters of the Third Kind & The Abyss. Both seem to have neatly sidestepped that title on the DVD. :)
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
My 3-year-old enjoying Superman - The Movie in widescreen:
Steve_Widescreen.jpg

(Some of my DVD's are to the left side of the picture)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I'll need to get HTF member Craig Crane to post in this thread, he met Rodriguez a while ago and they discussed an SE DVD of Spy Kids, definately sounds like one is in the making from what Craig said. He even posted a thread about the planned spec and his meet with the director some months back. Thing I remember most is the proposal of a "kids" 10 minute film school.
Craig, where are ya?
Dan (UK)
[Edited last by Dan Brecher on August 22, 2001 at 05:33 AM]

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
The Variety article implied a 1 time DVD.
------------------
Yumbo - IMDVD

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks