What's new

Spy Kids - A real hoot! (1 Viewer)

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
I missed this one in the theatre, but picked it up at the behest of my kids. I'm never wuite sure if having dipoles makes a huge difference, but there is a VERY aggressive use of the surrounds on this DVD. This DVD was actually a blast to watch! The end credits also come with great musical sequences (for thos very few of you who turn the DVD player off when the film itself is over). This is definitely one of those DVDs that totally surpsied me by the quality of the both the video, but especially the audio elements.

Paul E. Fox II

Second Unit
This is a movie that I really want to see with my kids also, but with Disney's release of a S.E. in Theaters, I'm sort of holding out for THAT version to be released on DVD.
------------------
Regards,
Paul

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
I have no doubt this will be an SE - it certainly should be, with all the wizardry that went into it. My kids would even like a commentary by the kids! The disk is bare bones, but I note that the version here in Canada is from Allinace Atlantis, so I can't speak for the US version.
And yes, the movie itself was fun. Its refreshing to find a movie that is totally suited to the whole family, with no profanity, sexual inuendo or graphic violence. The fight scenes in this film were almost 'cute.'

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
Peter Overduin wrote: Its refreshing to find a movie that is totally suited to the whole family, with no profanity, sexual inuendo or graphic violence.[/quote]This is great to hear! I am so tired of purchasing so-called "family entertainment" and getting anything but.
Case in point, Goonies. Right along the top of the front of the dvd cover is a cute little Bugs Bunny and a banner proclaiming it as "family entertainment". I sat down to watch it with my 2 boys and was very dismayed to hear S___ twice in the first 10 minutes, and then the lovely scene with the male statue's penis being broken and all the talk of "that's my mom's favorite part!", not to mention glueing it on upside down to simulate an erection.
My problem isn't really with the movie Goonies itself, but with the title "family entertainment" and the Bugs Bunny logo... that indicates to me it should be rather wholesome. The movies that REALLY bother me are ones like Stuart Little, which are obviously 100% directed at a child audience, why do they insert swearing into those movies?! I believe I counted 7 swear words in that movie, unbelievable!
Don't get me wrong, while I don't love swearing in adult movies either, it doesn't bother me nearly as much as when it is in a supposed kids movie. I just don't understand why the kids movies can't be wholesome and the adult movies can remain anything but.
Luckily for me, Costco is very good about guaranteeing customer satisfaction. When I brought the opened disk back the next day I was given my cash back with no questions asked.
------------------
sig.jpg

[Edited last by Jason Merrick on September 17, 2001 at 12:27 AM]

LarryH

Supporting Actor
I'm glad that the special edition was announced prior to the release of the original cut DVD. I wonder how many people who keep up with these things will skip the first DVD (as I am doing) and waiting for the SE. It's got to hurt sales somewhat. They should probably have forgotten the original cut DVD altogether. I also wonder how many people who buy the original cut DVD will be angered when the longer cut comes out. This whole process is certainly consumer unfriendly.

Brad M

Second Unit
Hello. I work in the promotions department for five radio stations here in Tulsa. I just wanted to add a little something to Spy Kids. We get movies here and there to give away on-air. (I take some home to "test" them for our audiences.
wink.gif
) The trend has been to send about 15 VHS and two or three DVDs (If I'm lucky.) I was shocked when I opened the box with Spy Kids in it and saw over 20 DVD's and 20 VHS tapes. I know we are getting Pearl Harbor and they want to do DVD only with it (I'm not sure if they are even releasing a VHS.) I sure hope this trend continues. Another interesting note is all the VHS copies they sent were all widescreen. This is a first for sure. I've never seen that done before. Anyway, just thought I'd let you know.
------------------
Terrorists, sleep tight, if you can. We're coming.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
Well, since we've diverted to review sites, here are more, esp. if the religious point of view is important to you. What I found particularly refreshing about Spy Kids, was not only the absence of offensive material, but also the fact that the DVD itself was very well done, making it doubly entertaining!
http://www.gospelcom.net/preview/
http://entertainment.crosswalk.com/p...,74989,00.html
[Edited last by Peter Overduin on September 18, 2001 at 08:25 PM]

bill lopez

Second Unit
This truly was a family film because it was a good movie.
None of the tipical liberal sexual inuendos that they put in so-called family movies the past 10 years.
Anyone notice the style of the movie is like Willy Wonka.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Just popped in my mailbox today cortesy of Amazon.Com. I watched it earlier tonight. Very cute and clever movie, with exellent acting by the two young leads. To my surprise, my father (a very cynical man) made some popcorn and watched with me. We both enjoyed. I'll be writing my review tommarrow afternoon... will have screencaps then.
------------------
My DVD Collection
My Preorders
My Wishlist

JasonK

Supporting Actor
I'll throw in my
icon14.gif
. I am big fan of Robert Rodriguez and was curious how his family film would turn out. The action scenes were well-done, and I am impressed that the man who made Desperado was also able to make a very good family flick.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
I don't think this has been mentioned but Spy Kids has one of the best sounding Dolby Digital audio tracks of any DVD released. The sound was crisp and clean with no caffeine. Very good looking and sounding DVD.
[Edited last by Reginald Trent on September 20, 2001 at 09:23 PM]

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I bought this DVD last Tuesday on an impulse,
(Fry's Electronics had it on sale for $15.99.)
MAN WHAT A FUNNY MOVIE!
It was a bit early-Tim Burtony as far as the visuals,
which was a HUGE plus in my book!
I laughed, and what everyone is saying is so right!
One of the funniest films that is also "family safe."
(How nice to see a married couple still madly in love,
devoted to their kids, and concerned about everyone's
welfare.)
Except you forget all that because you are too buy
enjoying the film! :)
Mark

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I decided to go ahead and make the screencaps now... I've watermarked them until my review is offically released:
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
The pics have been reduced to a width of 425 pixels, as the is the width of my review column in 800x600. Enjoy.
------------------
My DVD Collection
My Preorders
My Wishlist

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks