Spy Game: OR how I learned to hate false advertising

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nathan V, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Nathan V

Nathan V Supporting Actor

I recently purchased the Spy game dvd, which is kind of a stretch for me anyway, since i'm more drawn to heavy drama (Traffic, 8 1/2, etc). I've seen the movie twice, and it's a very solid film, but what mainly drove me to buy it was the proclamation on the back cover: "over 10 hours of entertainment." At the moment I thought that there were at least 10 hours 1 minute of special features. About five minutes after I bought it, I realized this was ludicrous, as you can only put +/- 3 hours on a single disc. Although the disc is loaded, it certainly doesn't contain 10 hours of material, even when you factor in the DTS and dolby tracks, 2 commentaries, a 'white rabbit' feature, alternate ending, and some DVD-ROM crap. This kind of thing really irks me. Unlike dairy products, DVDs are not exempt from 'true advertising.' There's way too much advertising going on these days. It's like 'Minority Report' on a smaller scale; I mean, think about the number of TV ads we see annually. Think about billboards. Think about radios and all that other stuff. It drives me nuts. I realize it's necessary to make any money, but I still can't stand it. Anyway, be warned that the Spy Game dvd does not contain 10 hours of 'entertainment.' If, in fact it does, please enlighten me. I am aware that this post was pointless almost to the point of absurdity, but I just wanted to express my feelings about false advertising and privacy invasion via gratuitous advertising. Please express your opinions about this or anything remotely related to it

2. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

The film itself is two hours. Each commentary is another two hours. The "white rabbit" feature is another two hours. So that's eight hours right there. I don't know where the other two hours come from but this is how studios calcuate the hours of special features (the "Shrek" DVD was advertised the exact same way). It's not false, it's misleading.

3. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Exactly...and that's why I never pay attention to those kind of promos. Also...it's not about the quantity of the extras, it's the quality. I'm tired of seeing featurettes that showcase everyone talking about how much fun they had making the movie...I'd much rather see "video diaries" ala Magnolia, TPM, etc...

4. Nathan V

Nathan V Supporting Actor

Very, very true. That's why I prefer Criterion. And although i haven't seen it, the Magnolia video diary is supposed to be one of the greatest dvd extras out there. I found the film to be a bit too dark, though (odd, since I'm usually drawn towards dark films). Does anyone know (approximately) how long Magnolia's 'video diary' is?

5. MichaelAW

MichaelAW Second Unit

If the movie is two hours long, and you're entertained by it, just watch it five times. There's your ten hours of entertainment.

6. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Most of my discs have been on the shelves longer than 10 hours.
    They should only count the time it takes to play everything straight through though, not counting playing the movie several times with different soundtracks.

7. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

"And although i haven't seen it, the Magnolia video diary is supposed to be one of the greatest dvd extras out there"
    It is. [​IMG]

8. KimK

KimK Stunt Coordinator

Yeah and so is Full-tilt Boogie on the Dusk till Dawn Collector's Edition [​IMG]

9. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    Sometimes they can jam-pack these discs with the multi-angle, multi-audio oriented features. Look at Pearl Harbor or Fight Club! And in the end, you'll spend countless hours watching the same 5 minute clip over and over! Studios can be tricky. Personally, I think they shouldn't count the movie itself as an extra although according to the quote, Spy Game technically doesn't. But I do feel that commentaries count as extra features, but definately not something like Shrek where there counting both the widescreen and fullscreen version of the film!