sprinkler systems

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeAlletto, Mar 4, 2003.

1. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Anyone know anything about them? I'm thinking of getting one installed for my new house. What should I expect to pay? The sod is already down and has been for about 2 months. Its been really rainy here for jan and feb so i haven't had to water yet but spring and summer are just around the corner.

thanks!

2. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

If you don't mind a little dirty work, you can install a system yourself pretty easily.

I installed a fairly small setup myself for under $200. I used 4 RainBird-type sprinklers, and 2 shrub-sprays and a soaker hose intalled inline for a hard to reach flower bed. All this is run off two electric valves, controlled by a timer. The valves are hooked up to a standard outdoor faucet (I didn't require enough water to tap directly into a water pipe, the faucet provided enough pressure).

For my little setup, if I recall correctly, I was quoted over $1000 for everything (labor and psupplies).

The hardest part was the digging. I found that putting together the system was actually fun. If you have a larger piece of property, you'll want to look into renting a ditch-digger. Also, you'll probably have to tap directly into a main water pipe, which can be a little more difficult.

3. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

All depends on how big your yard is. I spent about $500 and installed it myself, and I have a fairly small yard. You'll probably pay $1000-$2000 for one.

I personally will never own a house without underground sprinklers. I grew up without them and moving a little sprinkler around all summer long gets old fast.

4. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

My yard is pretty normal sized but I don't have the time or knowledge to install one myself. I've got a request in for a quote and they are going to stop by my place and measure and check it over for me tomorrow or thursday.

I have no desire to get up at 4 or 5 am to move sprinklers around once the summer starts up [​IMG]

I got a fire hydrant right on my curb so think i can hook up the sprinklers to that? [​IMG]

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

I had a system installed a few years ago for a little under $2,000. It is an 8 zone setup covering a 100' x 150' lot, but there are several areas that were hard to configure for full coverage. Four zones are in the front yard, one on each side, and two in the back yard.

If your lot is small and of a simple shape, you may be able to do it yourself. I did not feel comfortable doing this in our situation (plus, all of our utilities are underground -- make sure you call Miss Dig if you do it yourself).

I would never have another home without a system, but they are not maintenance-free, especially in this part of the country. My system needs to have the lines blown out each fall to prevent the lines from freezing and rupturing (may not be an issue in your part of the country). Also, invariably in the spring when I activate the system, there are some malfunctioning heads or leaks from the long, cold winter. During the year heads will sometimes get stuck or clogged.

It still beats moving a sprinkler around manually. I had to use three different sprinklers and move the hose six times just to cover my front yard. [​IMG]