Springsteen one more time in HD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Tannehill, Nov 12, 2001.

1. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Just as I was getting used to the downconverted 480p DVD, I see that HBO is airing the Springsteen concert in HD one more time tonight...9:00pm Eastern, 8:00pm Central.
    I see an A-B test coming! [​IMG]
    - Steve

2. Darrel Johansen

Darrel Johansen Stunt Coordinator

Yeah,
    I was thinking the same thing. Last time I did this was on The Matrix and HBO-HD definitely edged out DVD on my system. Would be interested in your comparison!

3. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill
    Well, it's on in the background and I've gotten the HD broadcast pretty well synced up with the DVD. That has allowed me to flip between the two sources easily.
    The audio mix sounds to be the same with respect to directionality and channel separation, but it is significantly louder on the DVD.
    The video...well, there is no comparision. The HD broadcast takes the prize, with obviously more detail and resolution. This is most apparent when the lights go up on the audience and you can see smiling, singing faces. Some of the static camera shots of the band almost feel like you can step right into the picture and onto the stage.
    Now I still see jaggies on some of the diagonal and curved surfaces (like the piano top and keys, guitar strings, drums and cymbals), but I see more of them on the DVD.
    Now, the DVD is still extremely good. It is anamorphic, it offers the 5.1 mix and a PCM stereo mix, and it has a whole additional disc with 80 more minutes of concert footage (also anamorphic). I've shown this disc to friends who don't have HD yet, and they have remarked how good the picture looks.
    But if HBO wants to show Springsteen in HD again, I'll be watching!
    - Steve

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

Thanks for the comparison, Steve. Do you know if the HBO special was shot on film or HD video? If it's the latter, that would certainly explain why the HDTV broadcast looks noticably better than the DVD. I do not have HBO, so I could not compare the two (I love the DVD, though).
    The only HD material I have been able to compare to its DVD equivalent has been a couple of movies broadcast on ABC -- Toy Story 2 and Saving Private Ryan. In both cases, I did not see much difference in picture quality between the HD broadcast and the DVD (except the DVD did not have the ABC bug in the corner of the screen [​IMG] ). Of course, there are other factors here, since ABC is broadcasting in 720p and my STB must convert the signal to 1080i for my TV.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 1

5. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill
    I'm pretty sure the Springsteen concert was shot on HD video, not film.
    And I agree...I have found film-based comparisons to be difficult when comparing HD to DVD. I did A-B comparisons of SPR back when it was on HBO, and several of us could not tell a major difference on my equipment. And that was comparing 480P to 1080i.
    Cheers,
    Steve

6. Darrel Johansen

Darrel Johansen Stunt Coordinator

I've made a few A-B tests between HBO-HD and my DVD. I've got a Sony 7700 DVD player going through a Crystal Image scaler to get 540p into my RPTV's HD input and an RCA DTC-100 receiving DirecTV. In all cases, I see some video "noise" on the DVD compared to the broadcast. The Prince of Egypt was one where it was pretty easy to see. Possibly it's my set up, but in the animated features, the areas of fixed color in the animated film showed grain-like imperfections in the color, rather than pure color on the HD broadcast. Also, as Steve mentioned, there was a definite difference in clarity in the Springsteen concert, attributed to the increased resolution of HDTV over DVD.