What's new

Springsteen Live in NYC Press Release (1 Viewer)

HalS

Stunt Coordinator
The details are the exact same as I posted in the recent thread, though it has been pushed back one week to Nov. 6.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
September 10, 2001
"Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band - Live in New York City" to be released November 6 on DVD
Two-DVD set contains acclaimed HBO broadcast in its entirety, along with 11 additional songs.
Fifteen-minute "NYC Serenade" featurette includes behind-the-scenes interviews with all E Street members, as well as rare live concert and rehearsal footage.
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band's emotional ten-night stand at Madison Square Garden inspired an Emmy-winning HBO special and a critically acclaimed live album. Now, "Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band - Live
in New York City" will be available as a 2-DVD set to be released on November 6, 2001. It will feature 11 songs that were not included in the HBO broadcast, as well as "NYC Serenade," a 15-minute featurette culled from
rare interview, concert and rehearsal footage.
Recorded in full Dolby 5.1 digital surround sound and captured using Sony's HDCAM 1080/60i high definition format, the DVDs will allow fans to experience the HBO broadcast on a new level. In addition to the one hour-50
minute HBO film, there is an hour and twenty minutes of new live footage * including full performances of "Backstreets," "Don't Look Back," "Darkness
on the Edge of Town," "Lost in the Flood," "Born in the U.S.A.," "Jungleland," "Light of Day," "The Promise," "Thunder Road," "Ramrod" and "If I Should Fall Behind" * that was not seen on television. There is also a
rare live rendition of "The E Street Shuffle" provided as the backdrop to the video's end credits.
In addition, the "Live in New York City" DVD set includes "NYC Serenade," which takes viewers behind the scenes of the E Street Band's triumphant
return to New York after more than ten years away from the road. The fifteen-minute featurette includes performance footage of 12 songs, including rarities such as "Adam Raised a Cain," "Back in Your Arms" and "Blood Brothers;" backstage interviews with each band member; and a gallery
of backstage and live concert photos.
Documenting what was undeniably the biggest concert event of 2000, "Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band - Live in New York City" garnered extensive praise from critics. According to Entertainment Weekly's Chris
Willman, "With the thrilling new 'Live in New York City,' Bruce Springsteen gives fans another reason to believe."
Rolling Stone critic Greg Kot wrote, "It's a document of a great combo still burning to outdo itself."
The New York Daily News' Richard Huff called the broadcast "a moving and ultimately satisfying stretch of pure music from one of America's most important songwriters and fiercely energetic performers... the HBO special gives viewers a unique chance to look in on a stirring rock show that will stand the test of time."
"'Live in New York City'... reminds us that Springsteen is the most heroic composer in modern pop music and demonstrates that the E Street Band can still galvanize his songs into rock-and-roll epiphanies," wrote The
Washington Post's Britt Robson.
The triumphant, sold-out set of ten shows at Madison Square Garden from which "Live in New York City" is culled marked Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band's first series of Garden concerts since 1988's "Tunnel of Love
Express" tour, and cemented their number one position on Pollstar's tracking of the top ten tours of the first half of 2000. In a New York concert review, USA Today's Elysa Gardner wrote "whether standing still at his mike
or cavorting naughtily with his bandmates, Springsteen was both a showman and a shaman, capturing the blend of sex, spirituality and empathy that is the essence of rock 'n' roll and of most great live entertainment."
The E Street Band is: Roy Bittan - keyboards; Clarence Clemons - saxophone, percussion; Danny Federici - keyboards; Nils Lofgren - guitars; Patti
Scialfa - vocals, guitar; Garry Tallent - bass; Steven Van Zandt - guitars; Max Weinberg - drums.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
ANOTHER November 6 "must buy"??!!??!! AUGGHHHHHHH!!!
Oh well, guess I'd better just suck it up and pre-order. Who needs money anyway??
biggrin.gif

------------------
Too many DVDs, too little time...
AFI 100 Challenge - 36 to go!

HowardA

Auditioning
Does anybody know why so few concert DVDs are in 16:9 aspect ratio? All I know of are Stop Making Sense and I think that Fleetwood Mac concert shown on PBS. Are there any others?
[Edited last by HowardA on October 13, 2001 at 04:24 PM]

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
Probably since most are shot for TV and/or "video." This will certainly change. Stop Making Sense was a theatrical feature. Fleetwood Mac: The Dance is 1.33:1.
The Who Live at Royal Albert Hall is nice example of a recent 16x9 enhanced concert title.
Ryan

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Does anybody know why so few concert DVDs are in 16:9 aspect ratio? All I know of are Stop Making Sense and I think that Fleetwood Mac concert shown on PBS. Are there any others?
"Peter Frampton - Live From Detroit" is a 16x9 anamorphic transfer from a HD source. The video quality is the best I have seen for a concert DVD. This disc also contains both a DD5.1 and DTS5.1 soundtrack, and has an interesting interview with Frampton in the supplements. Finally, and most important, it's a great performance.
"Paul Simon - You're The One" is also a 16x9 anamorphic transfer. I thought the video quality was lacking when compared to the Frampton disc, and I do not think this was Simon's best performance.
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 2

Tim H

Stunt Coordinator
Eurythmics - Peace Tour is another 16x9 concert DVD. The video and audio are simply fantastic on this disc. A definite must-have!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Just wanted to add that my review of the Bruce set is now online. Long story short: excellent picture, solid sound, and 80+ minutes of additional songs = the best concert DVD on the market. (IMHO, of course...)
My full review's available through the link in my sig...
------------------
Colin Jacobson
DVD Movie Guide
www.dvdmg.com

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Cool!
I bought the CD when it came out and it felt sort of flat. Then I saw the concert, and it blew me away. Bruce is quite a showman for someone whose concerts are so simply staged. I remember reading, before seeing him on the Born in the U.S.A. tour, that he loses as much as 4 lbs. during a performance. That's some serious energy burned.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I remember reading, before seeing him on the Born in the U.S.A. tour, that he loses as much as 4 lbs. during a performance.
He has to do this to compensate for all the fans who GAIN four pounds a show via beer intake.
And thanks to those who left nice comments about my review. I may write for DVD Movie Guide, but music's my prime love, which is why why music DVD reviews tend to ramble on and on. (I think my article about Bruce's Video Anthology almost hit 8000 words.) It's always a pleasure to write about music, and was happy to get the chance to check out the new Bruce live set...
------------------
Colin Jacobson
DVD Movie Guide
www.dvdmg.com

Rutledge

Stunt Coordinator
Tim,
Peter Frampton Live in Detroit 1999. Was filmed in HD and is 16 X 9. Excellent sound and video.
[Edited last by Rutledge on November 03, 2001 at 05:29 AM]

Rutledge

Stunt Coordinator
The Best Buy ad in the paper today has at $17.99. It will be released on Nov. 6.
CC has it for $19.99.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks