Spring clip wiring advice sought

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Timothy_A., Jun 12, 2002.

1. Timothy_A.

Timothy_A. Agent

Hi. Any advice on how to make 12 or 14g bare wire fit into a spring clip terminal? I pulled about 1/2" insulation off the wire and twisted it tight but it seems to have difficulty going in the clip hole and the tight twist ends up looking like a mini-brillo pad ; )

I notice some wires have a solder coating at the end to make them effectively one wire. What is the simple approach to doing that?

Thanks!

2. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

The coating you're referring to is created by a process called "tinning." You can get a soldering iron and a thing of solder from Radio Shack for $15 and do it yourself... you just let the iron heat up, touch it to the end of the stripped copper and let that heat up for a sec, and then touch the solder to the copper (not the iron!). The solder seeps into the copper and keeps the ends from fraying and shorting out.

3. Duke

Duke Stunt Coordinator

buy the pins

4. Juan Castillo

Juan Castillo Second Unit

I second Duke's suggestion. I tinned all my cables, which took a while, and still didn't fit/look great. With the reciever end being banana plug style, the pin style matches up great. That is if your speakers don't have banana plug inputs as well. check them out here....
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...umber=091-1255