What's new

Spreading of Ashes Question. (1 Viewer)

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I have looked it up and I know it is legal to transport cremated remains to the USA as long as the container can be X-rayed.

What I can't find though is if it's legal in the state of Hawaii to spread the ashes.

Does anyone here know if it's legal or not and under what circumstances either way?

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
My guess is that regulations, if any, will be from an environmental perspective, so I'd look at website of the local office of the EPA (if there's one), or the state equivalent.

When my grandmother passed away in Germany, the funeral and cremation were held there, and the German authorities wanted something official confirming that I would be able to bring the ashes into Singapore, before allowing me to take them out of Germany, so I got a letter from the Ministry of the Environment stating that there was no prohibition, and no requirement for any formal permit (unlike say bringing home a body). Not quite the same thing, but might point you in the right direction.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Well judging by the fact that there are businesses that do this, I am thinking that it must not be illegal.
I have emailed the crematorium and asked them just to be sure.

Thank you for the condolences.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I don't mean any disrespect by this comparison, but it might be similar to dumping trash. It's illegal to do it yourself (i.e. anywhere you want), but there are businesses that will let you dump trash in their area.

What I mean is, just because there are businesses that allow it, that doesn't mean it's legal to do it yourself. There are probably permits and laws that must be obtained and observed in order to do it. Definitely check all aspects out before proceeding.

Considering the emotional aspect of what you're going to do, the last thing you want is to get in trouble or arrested for it.

Hopefully everything does work out for you though.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Thanks Mark,
I know exactly what you mean and right after I wrote that I thought the same thing but it was very late and I was about to go to bed.
I did find this though on that oahucemetary site which in my opinion (and you guys can tell me if I'm reading it wrong) sounds like it's ok to do it.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Richard, it sounds like a complicated matter. Some of the posts I've searched for said that it is illegal to spread ashes, and some say it isn't.

This site had some interesting info:
http://www.nps.gov/havo/manage/remains.htm

It sounds like there are places where a permit isn't required and it is quite legal, but it also seems like there are definitely areas where it is illegal or requires a permit.

I guess it all depends on where you plan on doing it.

kapakahi

Auditioning
Real Name
kaye
The scattering of cremated human remains in Hawai`i Volcanoes National Park should be planned as a small private affair, held away from high visitor use areas. You are welcome to hold your ceremony anywhere the general public may go, with the exception of Halema`uma`u Crater as it is a location of high visitation and a sacred site to many Native Hawaiians

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> I guess it all depends on where you plan on doing it.

Or more realistically, who is around when you're doing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks