Spraypaint technique for DIY newbie?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Joe Hsu, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

Just looking for some personal tips...I started spraying my stands yesterday and the one said came out okay...I just did the first layer on the other side, and maybe because of the lighting I couldn't see too well, but it had much more "running" of the paint than yesterday evening.

What's the best technique for spraying? Slow and steady, or "fast" and going back over?

lastly, if this turns out horrible, could I still some sort of laminate or veneer over the top of the painted MDF? i've never done this type of stuff before...it looks good, but just incase.

Thanks in advance...this is quite the learning process. [​IMG]

2. DaveKahler

DaveKahler Stunt Coordinator

Very thin coats separated a few minutes apart. Also, I've found making sure the surface is horizontal will eliminate "dripping".

Paint can always be sanded off.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Also, be sure to spray on at least a coat or two of primer before you actually spray on the final paint.

4. DaveKahler

Ah, yes, of course [​IMG]

Also use a good clear finishing coat.. the finish will scratch very easily if you don't.

5. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

when i finished my stands and just the past week my Flexy i used the satin black finish from rustolum. I applied a nice thick layer of primer exp on the edges. I then applied a nice coat of the satin finish, it came out like crap with blotches and it looked like crap, i then applied another coat and it came out like a dream, all nice and smooth with no blotches what so ever.

So my recommendation is at least 2 coats if not three, and allow plenty of time between coats so you don't get cracking or other weird stuff.

6. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

Thin coats and alternate spray patterns. Side to side then up and down on alternating coats.

Pete

7. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

Man, having to learn from your mistakes really suck...not really mistakes, but just steps I didn't realize to take or overlooked. As much as I want these to be perfect, I guess I'll settle with how they turn out, as I'm sick of working on them.

Must really help to have the right tools...having to sand everything by hand is a bitch...and I think that with my next set of stands, I'm just going to buy some decently nice hardwood and stain/seal it...should still look good with a black gloss PVC pipe like I have now.

Hopefully I'll pics of at least one stand up by weekend's end...it'll just be from a distance since it won't be too pretty [​IMG]

8. DaveKahler

You can get a cheap vibrating sander for $20 top.. definitely worth it.