spousal approval factor questions

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Kyle Wolfe, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Kyle Wolfe

Kyle Wolfe Auditioning

Hello all. I've got some questions that I was hoping some of you could help answer for me. I'd like to know your main complaints and those of your spouses of todays component speaker systems? Are they too square? Do they not fit into your living environment? Do they look out of place next to that nice couch of yours and tv hutch? Just really what you like and don't like. I am in the research phase of my graduate creative work project and I am redesigning the hometheater speaker set-up. This is sound asside. A looks only approach to speakers.

Any comments are very welcome, and thank you in advance,

Kyle

2. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

My wife thought I was crazy when I first got into advancing my TV watching 12yrs ago- till she actually started to listen! Through these years...main complaints are

1)cost
    2)wires....the ones she can see
    3)speakers where most folks dont have them in the LvRm.
    4)Did I mention cost? [​IMG]
    5)Loss of living room
    6)upgrade fever.

I admit my wife has actually been good compared too many others I have had to listen too. I'm about 3-4 weeks away from having a dedicated HT room done. The idea was mainly hers. Now- was this so she could have her living room back? Maybe so... but I think she will enjoy watching movies as much as I will in a Dedicated room.

3. Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner Second Unit

Big ugly subwoofer. Can be solved by installing an infinite baffle sub.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

size. without question, the biggie when it comes to ht. so's do not like speakers any bigger then small bookshelf sized. you can pretty much forget floor standing / tower sized. sub/sat systems are the way to go. of course, there are exceptions, but those are few and far between.

the other most often question is about wireless speakers. whoever makes up a truly wireless system will be a gazillionaire.

color doesn't really get brought up that often with speakers (i usually get that question more with the components).

in general, it seems that so's have come to realize/accept that ht gear generally doesn't fit with much decor ... it seems to be the "sacrifice" they are willing to make for their so's.

5. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    In my dedicated theater, she really dosen't care about the speakers. They are part of the theater.
    Now my stereo speakers in the living room are a different story. I have a small bookshelf unit. The speakers are only 6 x 8. She is always putting decorations in front of them to hide them. (blocking the sound) I woulden't even think of floor speakers. The sub isn't an issue though. Just another end table. I could do with out the wet marks left on it from glasses being put down with out a coaster. Maybe you could design a speaker with a built in picture frame in front [​IMG]
    Dave

6. Tommie

Tommie Agent

well... i don't have anything big to complain on...

prices is going down.. you can get really good receivers for a low cost...

The design on older receicers suck ^^
    But that is also improving =)

7. Mark M. Smith

Mark M. Smith Stunt Coordinator

I'm probably just lucky, but mine honestly doesn't care. In her opinion it's the sound that matters, not what it looks like. Personally I like my speakers big, black, and boxy. Then again, I prefer minimalist modern design so I want pretty much everything in my home to be big, black, and boxy.

8. John S

John S Producer

I install as my side job....

Females sure seem to like flat hang on the wall stuff in general.

I was thinking the other day with an install, how cool it would be if some reputable speaker manufactures actually could find a way to integrate the entire front soundstage(L/C/R) into a nice entertainment center geared for various sizes and types of displays. I think that could rule on His and Hers requirements in all honesty.

It would have to be top notch quality though all around for it to work.