What's new

Sports Teams for NJ? (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I'm curious...

With all this talk about moving the Jets to NY, is there enough interest to start a NJ Football and Baseball team? We have our own Basketball and Hockey Team, so why not the former two?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Just rename the NY Giants as the Jersey Giants. They've always played in NJ anyway (along with the Jets).

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Moving the Expos to New Jersey is one oft-cited proposal for reducing the Yankees' competitive advantage, but it's not likely to happen. The Yankees and/or Mets can outright veto a team within 50 miles of their stadium. Similarly, the Phillies can veto an NL team within the same distance on the other end of the state.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Well, OK, in my lifetime I've never known them to play anywhere but in NJ. :D

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Not really Scott, both of those teams started in NYC. Besides that is not what the original posters was asking, he was asking if they would put a NEW team in NJ? For that question the answer is most certainly NO.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I think the "New York" label is meant to indicate New York City, not New York State. After all, the Sabres and Bills are not named the "NY Sabres" or "NY Bills". And if a team had to play in the actual city that they are named after, a lot of teams would be changing their names. Anyone for the Foxboro Patriots, the Auburn Hills Pistons or the Tempe Cardinals?

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

Well, the Nets are planning on moving to Brooklyn, so they may very well be the New York Nets (as they used to be when they played in Long Island).

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I think Patrick S is correct in that you probably won't see any new teams placed in New Jersey. As was mentioned also, the Nets are leaving, and I'm sure the Devils would like to, so I don't see how being in such close proximity to New York is helping matters.

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
If the Jets get their Manhattan stadium do you really think NJ is still not served by the Giants playing there? Plus why would the NFL put a team in New Jersey (and end up with 3 teams in the tri-state NY metroplex) when Los Angeles still doesn't have a single football team?

DaveBB

Supporting Actor

That's why the putz owner of the Cardinals changed the team name from Phoenix to Arizona; because the city of Phoenix wouldn't pony up the money for a new place. Bill Bidwell ripped the Big Red away from St. Louis almost 17 years ago and it's taken him this long to finally get the new stadium he was promised. :D

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

Actually, the Devils will be moving out of the Meadowlands, but to a new arena in Newark. So the Devils will still be in Jersey.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks