Sports Radio Thread

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Doug Miller, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Doug Miller

Doug Miller Supporting Actor

Doug Miller
    Hey --

Thought I would start a Sports Radio Thread to talk about the shows we like and don't like on Sports Radio. I got XM Radio for Christmas and am happy to finally be able to get the 3 majors all the way to work. Generally, I got local sports radio and Fox Sports halfway to work, then ESPN on the other half. Now, I get ESPN, Fox Sports, Sporting News, and ESPNews on XM (not counting MLB coming soon). I always get tired of the local guys, it's like beating a dead horse on local sports radio, they'll talk about one G-D topic all day long.

Steve Czaban (FOX) -- replay at 10am Pacific Time. Funny guy that doesn't mind the occasional bash, but also rags on himself and co-host. His Daily Zabe segment is always good for a laugh. Doesn't have too many interviews with players, does a lot more talking with journalists and odds-makers, but overall an enjoyable show.

CJ Silas/Chris Meyers (FOX) -- 12pm Pacific. CJ Silas flirty nature, along with her sports knowledge make her a good listen. I can take or leave Meyers. I liked it better with Kevin Kennedy or Tim Ryan (Meyers takes over CJ's show). Good guests, variety of talk.

Dislikes:
    Dan Patrick (ESPN) -- I may get dogged for this, but I get really annoyed listening to DP about 80% of the time. When Dibble is on, it lightens it up, but DP is just so damned arrogant sounding most of the time. I know Dan knows a lot of athletes, but he just has the aura that he's cool.... and I'm not. [​IMG] I don't mind that he asks the "hard questions" to guests, but I think he comes off as too aggressive sounding, like they owe him an answer. I've heard other hosts do a better job posing the tough stuff, and that includes the local guys.

I haven't got into Sporting News Radio too much, it seems like it's commercials 3/4 of the time, and fantasy the other 1/4. I thought I would listen to this station more. Can't wait for MLB to have it's own XM station, and am looking forward to Kevin Kennedy's new show, and Tony Kornheiser's show (even thought PTI bugs the hell out of me -- let me scream at you why you're wrong for 45 seconds).

Doug

2. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

I'm a major sports radio junkie, and I have SIRIUS, but listen to combo it and the locals.. very few things (IMHO) are better then the locals (810WHB is my fav, especially Pedro on Fridays, and Keitzman most days).. that having been said, SIRIUS (ESPN, SportsByLine, SIRIUS Sports, NFL Radio) has these that I try to catch:

NFL Radio:

Taking it to the House with Keyshawn Johnson (Thursday Nights, NFL Radio) one of the funnier damn shows on the Radio, Keyshawn talks smack like no ones business, even when it isn't deserved. Whether they are going off on Vick's contract or dislike of certain lawyers, it made news off and on all year and was a highlight reel for interviews that really got to the story while being top-form funny.

SIRIUS Fantasy Football with Adam Caplan and John Hansen - Great fantasy football rundown. Anything you wanted to know, even for non-fantasy players on value, when to trade, etc. (Friday nights) great stuff.

Disliked:

The Opening Drive with Chris Moore and Dan Reeves - Dan Reeves is terrible. This show is so farking boring that it's not worth listening too. Rarely breaks news. I end up listening to Border Patrol (local, 810) or Mike & Mike in the morning.

I'd agree on Dan Patrick.. man, I can take only so much. His interviews aren't very enlightening and the show pace is very slow.. Tony K's show is very, very good, and I will miss it greatly [​IMG] It's almost tempting enough to make me pick up an XM box, but I'll have to see.. I'm glad I get to hear his regular DC show again, which was Kornheiser at his best.

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    It's great news to hear that Kornheiser is coming back to radio nationwide on XM Radio. His show was the best on ESPN Radio before he got in trouble with the suits at ESPN.

4. Kevin Clemons

Kevin Clemons Stunt Coordinator

We only get ESPN radio around here, and I haven't taken the XM plunge just yet I most certainly will now that TK is coming back. I don't mind listening to DP as a distraction while I work but his stuff works best when he, showkiller, and formerly Dibble just sort of bantered back and forth. Sure Dan's opinion centric rants are sometimes a tad too sef important but I kida dig him. As for Cowherd, I hated him at first but I have grown to like him. I think the reason is that I am a huge Kornheiser fan and I missed his witty stories and imformative interviews.

We don't get Mike & Mike here but from the internet streams I have heard I like it.

Kevin

5. Doug Miller

Doug Miller Supporting Actor

Doug Miller
    Robert --

What did TK do? I heard his farewell show a few months back when he was going exclusive PTI. He was joking that he was tempted to stay and just play music.

Kev --

I'm with you on Cowheard. He bugged me at first too, but he's grown on me.

Doug

6. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

Big sports radio guy here. I am in the same boat with you guys regarding Dan Patrick. I really liked him back in the day, with Olberman, but he does seem very arrogant now.

I know this will probably be unpopular, but I really like Jim Rome's show. It took me about a month to really understand the format, and I really don't like it when people call in, but some of his stuff is pretty damn funny. Not that good on tv though. He came to the Palace last year, and it was a blast, we tailgated all day prior to the show, and Bill Laimbeer even came out, walked through the crowd and had a few beers with fans.

TK I love, good opinions and he isn't a dick to everyone.

We have a pretty good station for local stuff in Detroit, but they turn the damn signal down at like 5pm so I can't get it anymore where I live.

Brandon

7. Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri Screenwriter

Bryan
    I'm not sure if they're on satellite radio, but I love listening to Mike and the Maddog; they're a New York based sports radio program. While they sometimes come off arrogant, they usually tell it how it is.

I'm also priveyed to Michael Kay's show on ESPN Radio. Baseball is his best topic, but he holds his own on other sports as well.

8. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

I love the Jim Rome show! I can't seem to find him in Atlanta since he was replaced by the 2 Live Stews - Sports Talk w/ Hot Sauce Baby! Actually, I'm not a fan of the Stews.

9. RonaldK

RonaldK Extra

Guys I like to hear:

Jim Rome-I've listened to him since he was a local fill-in host in San Diego and he still makes me laugh.

Andrew Sicilliano-knows sports and doesn't take himself too seriously.

Tony Bruno-somebody hire this guy and put him back on the air.

Guys I dislike:

Dan Patrick-one word;SANCTIMONIOUS.

Todd Wright-this guy loves to hear himself talk. Good that he works overnights because he puts me too sleep.

Tim Brando and James Brown-yeech.

10. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Jim Rome I like as he is a good diversion for the daily grind. He's usually one when I'm driving to lunch.

Czaban - Like him alot. He's the best on the radio IMHO.

There is also a guy at night(like 11pm my time) on Fox radio that is decent. He's like a Jim Rome sorta but not in alot of ways. It's hard to describe.

Other than that, our local guys are pretty decent.

11. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Shane, you're thinking of JT the Brick. Was a stock person, then called in Rome's show and won the "Smack off" a few years ago, and got his own radio show out of it...

12. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I'm not a fan of Jim Rome -- it's too much "schtick" for me, and can't stand when callers try to immitate his style (which I do not like anyway).

There are two local sports talk stations here. The afternoon show with Mike Stone and Wojo (Detroit News writer) on WDFN is quite good. On the opposite end, the other station's (WXYT) morning show is pretty bad -- they have former Lion defensive lineman Mark Spindler and his room temperature IQ. Unfortunately, they also have twice weekly interviews with Lion's coach Steve Mariucci during the season, so I have to put up with Spindler a couple of mornings a week on the drive to work.

I do not have satellite radio.