What's new

Sports Night Complete Series DVD (1 Viewer)

ShaunC

Auditioning
Has anyone seen this yet on DVD? I loved the series. When the re-ran it on Comedy Central they added a lame laugh track to it. The laugh track was so annoying I couyldn't even watch one episode. I was wondering if the DVD had the original soundtrack or the augmented w/ laugh track version.

Thanks for the info!

Shaun

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
The first season, as aired, has the laugh track... but it disappears going into the second season.

The DVD set is great abiet lacking any supplements (or the ability to turn off the annoying laugh track).

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Don't hesitate - get the DVDs. You're not going to get anything better.

I found the laugh track during the 1st season to be fairly unobtrusive as these things go - it was more of a "chuckle" track actually.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
the laugh track sucks but that's life. it's still the most re-watchable TV series i have on DVD. most others it's 'watch once and put on the shelf'.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I have recently re-discovered this show on Comedy Central (now that we are in re-run season, and my ReplayTV was hungry for something to record). I may just have to break down and buy the Season set because this show is really fun and snappy.

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
Shaun,

Buy the set, I can't even begin to talk about how much you are missing due to the cuts for syndication.

ShaunC

Auditioning
I'm going to have to get it, I suppose.

I'm just so annoyed by the laugh track!! The show has so much wit and dry humor, it's an insult to the audience to put in a lame laugh track - post taping - to suggest what parts you should find funny.

Dean Kousoulas

Second Unit
What an amazing show. I remember reading an article in TV Guide about the show, when they called it "The best show your not watching". After buying the set, I know now what I was missing, and it's a damn shame that this show only lasted 2 (!) seasons. Buy this set...you'll find yourself watching these episodes many times.

Dean

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
I blind bought this DVD set and I am still not sure what I think of it. It does not make me laugh out loud at all because the humor is so dry. The laugh track makes the show really awkward because it does not belong. I see this show as more of a light drama than any sort of comedy.

ShaunC

Auditioning
I totaly agree. Sports Night wasn't a sitcom! It didn't have a laugh track until comedy central got a hold of it in syndication.

So does the laugh track go away into the second season? This may seem trivial to some people but that laugh track really ticks me off. This was my favorite series when it aired on NBC!

Shaun

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
It didn't have a laugh track until comedy central got a hold of it in syndication.
Does CC air any of the second season episodes? The second season doesn't contain a laugh track at all. When it aired on ABC, the entire first season had the laugh track with the possible exception of the last few episodes. I haven't watched them in a while, so I forget. It definitely diminished as the episodes went on, IIRC.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
I think it had a lot of drama to it, but there were many parts throught both season were my wife and I were laughing out loud.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I blind-bought it as well, based on the fact I enjoy Sorkin's work (in particular West Wing) and from recommendations here on HTF. An excellent buy in my book, once I got it I was watching 5-6 episodes a night into the wee hours, just to see what happens next. A real shame when I came to the end of it (haven't started a new run since I've plenty else to watch, but I will soon).

Yes, the humour is dry. I prefer it that way, hence my fondness for British comedies. And don't let a mere laugh track put you off, you'll ignore it eventually.

Todd Hostettler

Second Unit
"I told many, many people."

That line still gets a good, solid laugh out of me every time I see it.

Oh, and on the more dramatic side, there's always my sig...

ShaunC

Auditioning
Thanks everyone for all of the input. I think I will go ahead and add this to my list of upcoming DVD purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks