Spooks R2

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Christopher D, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Christopher D

Christopher D Second Unit

Just wanted to put in a good word for this R2 BBC TV release that I have been enjoying very much this weekend. I think the show is a bit unknown here -- the only way I picked up on it was browsing through bestsellers on Amazon UK and thought it would be worth a try.

The series is about a group of MI5 operatives working to counter threats to domestic security in the UK -- it is very current and pretty fast-paced (especially for the BBC) and comes across a bit like a British version of 24. The DVD set is *very* well done and has copious extras and a very unique menu structure. And it's 16x9 anamorphic! Well worth a look if you like this kind of show, but the fact that it's only 6 episodes will leave you scratching your head at how short these BBC seasons are.

2. Sam Owens

Sam Owens Stunt Coordinator

I'm currently watching it on ABC (think Australia's PBS or BBC). It's been hugely entertaining, although I won't buy a DVD because the picture quality is excellent on digital.

As for the short BBC seasons, that's precisely one of the things that makes most BBC series so good. The writers/creators don't suffer from burn-out (unlike the US and Australia, many series don't farm the writing out to other people) and you don't get overwhelmed.

Red Dwarf, The Young Ones, Fawlty Towers. All had the six episode series format (until RD went to eight eps - to its detriment).

3. Craig: Mclaren

Craig: Mclaren Second Unit

I think you have to find a happy medium with UK shows. For prime time shows like Spooks I'd like to see 10-12 episodes a series. 70's classics "The Proffesionals" and "The Sweeney" adopted an average 13 episodes a series. I've heard the current second series of Spooks has 9 episodes so they've taken this idea on board [​IMG]

4. Christopher D

Christopher D Second Unit

Yes, I believe it's longer for the second season. I understand that A & E has a deal to show both seasons later this summer in the US, so at least we won't have to wait a whole year to see the new ones.

Six episodes go by fast, but with the quality and denisty it's like eating a tiny but gourmet food item.