Spontaneous muting from SD9200

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Shankman, Dec 18, 2001.

1. Lee Shankman

Lee Shankman Extra

I have another question to ask about my Toshiba SD9200. It's currently connected to my Onkyo 989 receiver, and while watching DVDs, I get random audio 'cutouts' where the sound just drops for about a second. It happens randomly, and regardless of the audio settings I choose on the 9200 or on the 989. I can't seem to make it stop, and I can't predict when it will happen. If I step back in the DVD to try and reply the portion where the sound dropped, it won't happen again in the same place. There is never a loss in the video signal when this occurs.

Any ideas about this would be appreciated. One thing to consider: because my TV and DVD player are on the other side of the room from the receiver, the audo cables from the DVD player are laid across the perimeter of half of the room, for about 20 feet. Could this have something to do with it?

Thanks

Lee Shankman

2. Bryan Acevedo

Bryan Acevedo Second Unit

Are you using a digital coax cable or a fiber optic cable? I am assuming if it is that long of a run, then you are using coax cable. Are you using a high quality digital cable for that length? That sounds like the signal is dropping somewhere, and over that length I wouldn't be surprised if something is happening to it along the way.

Bryan

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lee, have you tried a different cable? Maybe you have a bad cable. Also, as Bryan said, the length of the cable could be a problem.

4. Lee Shankman

Lee Shankman Extra

I'm using standard cables, no optical. There could be a bad cable there, but it seems like it's a distance-related problem, since the problem is intermittent. Hmmm...I think it's time to move the whole room around!

Thanks for the input.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lee, I meant to ask if you were using analog cables since the '9200 is a DVD-Audio player. I would try to rearrange things if possible to permit a much shorter cable run. Try to go with 2-meter (ca. 6.6-foot) cables or shorter. Hopefully that will do the trick because the '9200 is an excellent component.