Spongebob DVDs

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Matt Butler, May 2, 2005.

1. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

Im a single 31 year old guy (with no kids) who has recently gotten hooked on SB. I had seen only a couple of the cartoons and then rented the movie. Its funnier than hell!

A couple of questions: Im assuming the season sets are a better deal then the single discs?

Are there alot of adults who dig SB?

How can I get the "Jellyfish Jam" song?

2. Rusty_W

Rusty_W Auditioning

I'm single, 32, and love Spongebob as well! LOL! It's great to see I'm not the only one.

Anyway, the box sets are definitely what you want. I'm waiting for season three (I think it'll be out by this Christmas if not by next Christmas) and I think a season four will probably take several years to come out as they are slowing down on the new episodes these past few years. Oh it seems that "Season 4" is starting this Friday, so it will definitely be a while for a fourth set.

The single releases at first started with a theme of loosely based episodes. I bought the first 6 or 7 as soon as they was released, but then I gave up when I heard that the season sets was going to be made. Then it seemed that Nick gave up making themes and just tossed together any old episodes on a disk after a while. Then, from what I heard, the newer ones (with the white tops and red bottoms on the label) started to include episodes already released on prior single DVD releases. I've not confirmed this, but I would not put it pass them. I've also heard the box sets are for the older collectors like us that can afford the $35+ for the set.

Of course some of the single disks do have a few bonuses that you may enjoy which I don't think are on the box sets, but those bonuses where few and far between and I don't recall any that I really loved. If I'm not mistaken, the very first DVD had the best extras, but the rest disappointed me as it seemed that they did not bother to put anything interesting on those.

Also, I'm not sure if all the eps are out on single DVDs by now or not. I do know that it was extremely frustrating for me to watch the single disks as you can see a drastic change in the quality of the show at times. I mean on the last single disk I bought, there was a late season two episode followed by an early season one episode. You can really see the difference in the show when they do this and it can be disturbing. I suggest to watch them only in their proper order, hense getting the season sets. We adults tend to notice these things where as kids would not.

As for the song, I'm not entirely sure. I would think by now they would have made a TV edition CD with it on there by now. If it is not out, then your best bet is to make an MP3 recording from the DVD. ^^;

Oh! And the SpongeBob Movie DVD is out everywhere, so you should pick that up. You can probably find a slightly used copy now at your local rental store. Double check the box as it comes in Widescreen or Full, and it seems the widescreen is slightly harder to get used. I had to look in several rental stores to get one in widescreen. ^^;

3. Sean.S

Sean.S Stunt Coordinator

For the Jellyfish song and others, checkout spongymedia.tk

As for myself, I'm a 20 year old fan of Spongebob (and numerous other cartoons - Pokemon, Animaniacs, Dave the Barbarian, Animaniacs, The Tick, Superman: The Animated Series, Krypto the Superdog, and many more) and were very satisfied with the season sets. From what I've read Season 3 will come out on October 18th (No official confirmation, though) and Season 4 starts on Nick this Friday. I find the show's humor to be wacky and clever and some of the characters (Spongebob, Sandy, Pearl, and Gary *meow*) to be very amusing.

And, you're right about the movie being hard to find in WS. I unknowingly picked up an FS copy--but it was only 4.99.

4. Joe:C

Joe:C Second Unit

I believe the Sea Stories single disc release has the Squidward and Patrick endings for the Flying Dutchman episode. It might be worth owning on top of the season sets.

5. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    Well I'm 27 and got hooked on SB last summer after watching a few episodes with my 7-year old niece. I have both the first and second season sets and am anxiously awaiting the third. Luckily, I got hooked late in the game, so I never did purchase any of the single disc releases. I also love the movie. I took my niece to see it opening day, and purchased the DVD on the day it was released. Definitely hilarious. Your best bet is to definitely get the season sets. Financially, it's by far your best bet.....not to mention you'll save tons of shelf space. lol

6. TedT

TedT Second Unit

38. No kids. Love it.

So the movie was good? I'll have to pick that up...