What's new

SPOILERS: Teddy KGB's (Malkovich) "tell" in ROUNDERS? (1 Viewer)

BrianKM

Stunt Coordinator
What was the deal with the Oreos - was it which side the frosting stuck to or whether the chocolate part broke or what?

"I feel so unsateesefied."

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I thought it was whether or not he actually ate it or just played with it. When Damen "catches" his tell, I thought it was because he twists the cookie apart but then puts it back together and sets it down.

Greg Smith

Grip
Haven't seen it in a while, but wasn't the tell which ear he brought the delicious Oreo up to?

Soooo delicious.

Anyhoots, "Teddy" is one of my all-time favorite characters. Perfectly played. "I heff the Ace."

AbelM

Second Unit
I also remember it as Charles is, it's whether he ate it or not, I believe... :frowning:
I haven't seen it in a while, but loved this flick...
I also thought KGB was a great role player in the film.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I thought the whole point was he listened to it when he popped it open.
He did that only those two times in the film, it was like an extremely exaggerated move-- they called tons of attention to it the second time (close-ups from 2 angles, drastic change in music tone, Matt looks at KGB when he does it and his eyes narrow), I thought that was supposed to be the tell.
It couldn't be which side the frosting was on- as KGB would have no control over that (the mystic gods of cookies and poker secretly signaled to Matt Damon if KGB had a good hand by which half the icing stuck to??)
It wasn't just splitting the cookie- he split the cookie once or twice, and yet folded afterwards: the split wasn't the tell that indicate a strong hand, I thought it was when he held it to his ear...
Don't think it was whether he ate a cookie or not- I thought he ate cookies a few times in each of the rounds they showed, thought he crunched several of them in the course of the film. Although Damion's voice-over aludes to the eating of the cookies ("I could have let Teddy go on chewing those oreos till he was dead broke")- I thought the tell was the listening.
Here's the first game (when he didn't have Spades, he had aces):
thetell1.jpg

Then he does the same again in the last game, and Mike "Lays down a monster 2 pair" because Teddy's tell gave away his hand:
thetell.jpg

Seems like the "tell" was the move where he held the cookie up to his ear, a cocky gesture celebrating that he had a strong hand. That's what gave him away, that was his little tick- he covered his excitement by obsessing with the cookie.
Matt folded his "monster hand" as a result of KGB's tell at the end of the film (he learned from the first time KGB suckered him in with the 3 aces), and saved himself from losing everything to KGB's strong hand (a hand KGB "gave away" because of his tell).
-V

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
You didn't like the film Vince Maskeeper??
I'm not sure what would make you think that from my post... I actually loved Rounders, and consider it one of my guilty pleasures. I've always been a pretty outspoken fan of the film, and have converted a few friends to the way of the rounder.
Even ask my Girlfriend, one of the more annoying things I'm prone to do is imitate Malkovich's bad fake russian accent (He seems to just put "y's" in the middle of words, and that makes them Russian!)
"Payy thyat mayn hyiss money"
:)

AbelM

Second Unit
He did that only the two times in the film, it was like an extremely exaggerated move.
When you said this, I thought you didn't like it, that's all...I loved this film...one of my favorites indeed.

Pro Player "What did you have?"

Damen " I don't remember..."

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I thought the tell was when KGB brought it up to his ear and then he would twist it, I think the time when KGB folded he only brought the cookie up in front of him and then put it back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks